Crafts Using Fabric Scraps and Yardage

I am looking for ideas (with instructions) for crafts and other uses for fabric (large yardage to scrap-sized pieces). Thank you and God bless.

By Erin813 from Seffner, FL

Moderately Easy Instructions Things You'll Need:

Potpourri

Ribbon

String

Needle and thread or sewing machine

Carpet pad

Adhesive

Scissors

Stuffing

Step 1 Make homemade potpourri or buy a package. Wrap a bunch in a small piece of fabric and tie it with a ribbon for a sweet-smelling sachet. Toss them in your drawers or linen closets to freshen your clothing, towels and bedding.

Step 2 Wrap gifts. Cover a package with the material cut to size and tie it with string or ribbon. Alternatively, if you are handy with needle and thread, stitch up a pouch and tuck the gift inside.

Step 3 Braid long, thin strips together and wind them in an oval shape. Glue to a piece of carpet pad cut to the size and shape you want for a rag rug.

Step 4 Make bedding, window treatments and even sofa covers for your daughter or niece's doll house. Whether she collects vintage miniatures or plays with Barbies and Bratz dolls, she will be delighted.

Step 5 Create simple stuffed animals. Lay two pieces of fabric together. Draw or print out an animal shape, and cut the shapes out of both pieces of fabric. Place the pieces together, right sides touching, and stitch them together all the way around but for one small spot. Pull the fabric right side out through the hole. Fill with stuffing, dryer lint or more fabric and stitch the hole closed. If the two sides are different material, it will give the animal an old-fashioned look.

good luck.

Go onto Gainusa.org. They will send you a kit containing everything you need to make two gospel aprons. They will also send you patterns to make children's elastic waist pants that you may sew from any fabric that you have. These items are then given to the poor and used as Christian outreach.

Thanks so much, ladies! Your ideas are great, and it helps restart my brainstorming for a bunch of vintage fabric that was my late Mum Mum's and some of my own fabric.

My church has a sewing group but they don't accept fabric, so thanks for the Christian site, user "Salpif"!

To "Kffrmw8," I have a 2-year-old daughter, Taylor, a 1-year-old son, Luke, and a 2-year-old niece, Juliette who are wonderful, by the way. (You nailed that one when you said daughter and niece- how did you know? lol). I made Taylor's doll a dress before and have ideas to make dress-up clothes for the girls, but yours help a lot! ALSO, thanks for the rag rug idea, too! I didn't know it can be that simple! Thanks again! Yay!

Scrap Fabric Pencil Holder
Craft Ideas Using Scrap Fabric
Crafts MiscellaneousJanuary 17, 2010
quilting fabric
Calculating Quilt Yardage
sewing machine
Using Fabric Selvage Edges for Crafts
Craft Using Fleece
Crafts Using Fleece Scraps
Fabric Covered Card
Making Fabric Covered Cards
🎄