Chicken In A Brown Paper Poke

Chicken in an old fashioned brown paper bag was also called a poke.

• 1 (3-5 lb.) whole chicken
  • garlic salt or powder
  • onion salt or powder
  • celery salt or powder
  • paprika
  • 1 loaf sized brown paper bag (or it was called years ago, a poke)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Wash chicken well, inside and out. Dry off inside and out with a paper towel. Sprinkle generously inside and out with the 4 spices listed above.

Place the spiced chicken in the brown paper bag and roll up the end of the bag. Place the bagged chicken in a roasting pan with a slotted grill rack; place the pan in the preheated oven and bake for about 20 minutes per pound. The smell is heavenly as it cooks.

When through baking, take the chicken and bag out of the oven and let it cool off a few minutes. Tear the bag open and place the chicken on a large platter, and pour the juices from the bag all over the chicken. Its a great, fast way to have a delicious meat for the table. Try this one time and you will love it. It's very easy and you don't have to stand at the stove and keep checking it.

Servings: 4
Time:15 Minutes Preparation Time
20 minutes per pound Minutes Cooking Time

Source: From a friend I worked with back in the early seventies.

By Beverly from Statesville, NC

Must be a southern thing as my mom often baked chicken this way. The meat literally fell off the bones, and it was delicious. I hadn't thought of baking a chicken this way in years. Thank you for reminding me.

We use this method for turkey as well, just get a bigger brown bag.

Can't wait to try this! I used to cook turkey this way all the time, but then I stopped. No idea why because it really is a great method. "Paper or plastic?" From now on, I'll take paper!

Food and Recipes Recipes PoultryMarch 20, 2011
Scoop of brown rice. Freezing brown rice.
Freezing Brown Rice
Brown Paper Bag Wallpaper Technique
Brown Paper Bag Wallpaper Technique
Dogwood tree in spring.
Leaves Turning Brown on Dogwood Tree
Cute Little Girl in Chicken Costume
Making a Chicken Costume