Licking Lips Too Much

I play volleyball on a team. And when we practice in the sun I keep licking my lips. It leaves a line on my lips of where I had been licking. Any help? Its driving me and my team mates nuts!

Imari from Los Angeles, CA

I would think a lip balm would help. There are ones that have a more waxy formula than others that seem to stay on longer for me and don't just lick off.

If you find yourself licking the balm off too fast then pick a flavor that you DON'T especially like. It will condition you not to lick your lips.

Also are you staying hydrated enough before and during your practices? Seems that might help as well.

EDIT:

you might also check out his link:

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/ate/infections/203130.html

My daugher used to do this, as well, when she was younger. She would resist some lip balms once she was chapped, because some of the ingredients would sting. We found that Eucerin cream (not the lotion) was thick, unscented, and helped with the healing. It would show, however, so we used it at night. During the day, we would try petroleum jelly or (oddly enough) unflavored shortening to coat it. They didn't show, sealed it, and didn't have a flavor to tempt her to lick. It took a few weeks, but we broke the habit!

Staying hydrated really does help. If you wait until you're thirsty, you've waited too long!

Thank you for this help. I do live in the valley of Cali, where its very hot during summer and fall, so this helps a lot. I found another remedy with Vaseline and sugar. The sugar gently scrubbed off the dead skin and the Vaseline helped moisturize them.

I asked the pharmacist about this when my daughter was licking her lips a lot. She said to just use petroleum jelly which I tried and within a couple days, it was gone.

Beware of becoming sensitized to the petroleum jelly. There are non-petroleum lip balms and gels available, especially at the health food stores. Read the ingredient list: many companies put petrolatum in either the active or inactive ingredient list, so you might miss it. There are many plant-based waxes that can replace it (as well as beeswax).

Burt's Bees makes a quality balm, as does Banana Boat. Look for sunblock in your balm, also.

The main thing is, quit licking. Your saliva has digestive enzymes in it, so everytime you lick your own skin, it is being irritated (digested!) just a little bit more. A dermatologist told me that.

Woww.

Thats some good info. Thank you all.

This grandma is a distance lap swimmer, and in the summer, the hot noon sun at the time we swim makes blisters IF I DO NOT APPLY TOTAL block. Sun screen tastes horrible. I use zinc ointment --is a total block as well as HEY--desitine. The smooth and creamy may give me white lips, but when I am done, I wipe off the white and have soft nice lips.

This has to do with allergies & dehydration. I have the same problem from time to time & it does drive me nuts & makes my lips chapped. I use bert's bees lip balm. It stays on & is easy to carry. Bert's also makes a lifeguard balm, that is kind of white (made with zinc oxide, I think) & is really nice for chapped lips, like from the sun & skiing. My daughter uses carmex, but I personally think it's too greasy. It's good for pain, though. There is also one called libiosan, sold at R.E.I. Co-0p, for skiers. This stuff is amazing.

Thanx :D

I had this for about 4 weeks and I kept trying lots of different creams but they all just stung my lips. You should use cacao butter, every time your lips feel dry just put it above and on your lips and after about 2 days it will be gone. Hope this helps, it worked for me.

Health & Beauty Beauty Skin Care AdviceSeptember 21, 2008
A cat wearing a cone on its head.
Keeping a Cat From Licking a Wound
dog licking a toy cat
Remedies for Dogs Obsessively Licking
Chapped Lips
Remedies for Chapped Lips
Dog Licking Paw
Stopping a Dog from Licking Too Much
🎄
🍂