Better Living

Correspondence Etiquette

I have an etiquette question. When signing a personal card or letter, whose name comes first, the woman's or the man's?

By Lucy from Clinton, NC

When I send a note to my family I sign my name first. My hubby does the same, good luck.

Well, I don't know about "proper" but I do what kffrmw88 does: to my family my name is first, to his we put his first. When it's somethng to somebody we both just know I usually put his name first.

The way I heard it to be was if it is just a couple, the woman's name is first....such as Mary and John Smith; however if there are children you would sign John, Mary, Susie and Joey Smith. I do not know if this is proper or not but I remember someone telling me this and could have been my mother. Perhaps you could put it into search and find the correct answer.

From WikiAnsers: Outside of the traditional, formal "Mr. & Mrs. John Doe", the wife's name is always first when using first names: "Jane and John Doe". In social importance, the woman is always first, then males, then children.

Crane's Blue Book of Social Stationery, Miss Manners' Guide to Excruciatingly Correct Behavior, and Crane's Wedding Blue Book all verify this longstanding etiquette rule.

I think that the person who is signing the note should put his or her name first. But really, I don't think it matters these days.

I've been reading many books and it seems the proper way is the woman's name first and then the man's when using first names. Someone said either way these days. I didn't think manners and etiquette changed with times. Anyway, thanks for your advice.

A woman's name should always precede the man's (except for when using Mr. and Mrs.....).

Thank you so much. This is the way I always do it but I got so many cards for Christmas this year where the man's name was first that it made me question myself.

My book says you never separate a man's first name from his last name. So Jane and John Doe, Jane married John Doe. John didn't marry Jane Doe.

I sign my name first then my husbands . I think the women's name should go first since she is usually the one filling everything out .