Recycled Garden Art

By katie 8

I decided to recycle my old sewing machine that is no longer of any value except for the junk yard. I placed it in my garden and am looking forward to watching the wildflowers growing around it this summer.

As a primitive artist, rust is my best friend; old tin cans, old wood, an old bath tub, and even an old wringer washer decorate my garden. The case that held my old sewing machine will be transformed into two pots this summer.

Sometimes you can look at old things with new eyes. I would love to hear how others use things in ways that they weren't meant to be used!

By Katie from Kamloops, BC

Showing: Comments Sort

By marg 2 16 Flag

Katie - I think all diehard gardeners look at any second hand bargain or free item with 'garden dec' in the back of their minds. I've put a chimenea in my 'tropical garden' - it's going to get plants in it come spring. I've got the typical old rusty plows & tractor attachments. Also heads of hand cultivators & shovels.

One of my favourites is a (originally valuable) 3 gal crock that had the bottom broken out of it. You shd have heard the gasp when an antiqueing buddy saw it for the first time. Metal lunch pails transformed into bird houses (I don't know what the birds think about them) A very old, very small enameled gas fireplace, Old wheeled wringer mop buckets (without the wringer) for big flower pots, a large seafood salad bowl (shaped like a shell) for a small birdbath. I'm sure I forgot a bunch cause I just love decorating my garden! Go nuts! We need more of us garden decorators out there!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Q.E.B. 5 Flag

Yea for all you art garden people out there. I plan to turn my back yard into an art garden. I'm an artist more than a gardener but I think I'll be inspired to add flowers and plants along with my "creations". Hey folks put up some photos, I'm a visual kinda person. I don't yet have anything to be seen, but soon...I hope.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Denise D. 14 Flag

Some of the best garden décor are things that won't work for their original purpose. I took a rickety porch swing and set it atop a composting barrel to use as a potting bench. It was cute, handy, and easily moveable. Any cuttings or dirt that needed to go to compost just dropped thru the slats, and at the end of the season I had a nice addition to the big compost pile.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Home and Garden Gardening DecorationFebruary 4, 2010
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
English daisies.
Taking Photos of Your Garden
Recycled garden art. A man made from recycled clay pots.
Making Recycled Garden Art
A woman stand in a room built using recycled windows.
Building with Recycled Windows
Bicycle Wheel
Making a Recycled Bicycle Wheel Pot Rack
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 5, 2016 at 7:40:24 PM on 10.0.0.164 in 774 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings