Unidentified Smell Coming From Bathroom

Help. We live in a doublewide mobile home. About 3 weeks ago, I noticed a funny smell coming from the master-bedroom's bathroom. We have not used it for a few years as it needs remodeling.

I used the shower stall for storing; all plastic containers, which I just repacked a short time ago. As the days progressed, the smell became so nauseating that we moved to the second bedroom to sleep. We thought it might be a dead animal, having had an opossum die about 3 years ago. But, it really doesn't smell like that.

The odd thing is, at times, it's there; overwhelming both rooms and seeping out into the hall; at others, completely gone. It doesn't matter what time of day, sometimes, it's there all day, then goes away, sometimes it comes back only at night.

We had a bathroom vent leak, that ruined the ceiling; a roofer will be out on 1/28/2010 to fix it. A new moisture barrier was installed one year ago, a new roof 2 years past. The roofer is out of business, figures.

I am getting ill from the smell, and don't know who to call to find out what this is. Please, can anyone help with this? Thank you so much.

Oh, we poured water down the shower drain, flushed the toilet, ran the sink water, thinking it might be in the pipes. That didn't help.

By Diane from Clearwater, FL

What kind of septic do you have? I had this happen about 7 or 8 yrs ago. It smelled like decayed bodies and was horrendous. It turned out to be the neighbors septic, once that was taken care of I never smelled it again. Thank God!

We have city was and sewer. The plumber came out yesterday, and really couldn't find the source. Suggested a smoke test. Lots of $$$. The roofer never showed up, hasn't returned my calls. So, we have a stink AND a leaky roof with rain due this weekend. Just wonderful. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

We have a modular home and had similar problem. Ours was the septic vent under the sink it screws into the septic line and prevents septic gases and odors from leaking back into the house. It was a simple fix. Just unscrewed the vent and screwed in a new one! You can get these at your local mobile home dealer.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Maintenance and RepairJanuary 27, 2010
A woman holding her nose.
Locating the Source of a Foul Smell in House
Cleaning Bathroom Mirrors, Reflection in a mirror of boy drying his hair with a blow dryer.
Cleaning Bathroom Mirrors
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet, Plumber Replacing Bathroom Faucet
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet
Car Air Conditioner
Smell Coming From a Car Air Conditioner