Diatomaceous Earth For Termites

Will diatomaceous earth get rid of termites?

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By Jo Bodey 1 234 03/02/2005

If you are in the US I'm not sure if you mean the same thing as we get. In Australia termites, also called white ants, are subterranean so diatomaceous earth will probably not work as I've only ever heard of it being sprinkled on the ground for surface crawling insects. Termites hate to be exposed. In Australia they can eat through the wood in houses and to get there they tunnel underground, often deeply and for long distances, and then build mud tunnels to climb up from the ground. If you are in termite country here you usually get your house inspected annually and treated, (sprayed), every 5 years to protect your property. There are organic ways of treating them but they are expensive - usually involving bait stations surrounding the house and regular inspections.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Steve 2 04/26/2015

Diatomaceous Earth; is excellent for controlling crawling insects (roaches, earwigs silverfish etc.) but would only be effective on termites if you sprinkled it on them, and well, as they are exposed (drywood or subterranean ). They will be beating a retreat into their termite runs to avoid the exposure to light and dry-er air any way, so your efforts will not achieve maximum effectiveness. Hope this helps.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Dan Bon 1 09/05/2015

Termites are really big problem. The scariest thing is that they will only take 2-3 years to destroy your house completely. I killed all of them in my house. I looked how to solve this problem in this http://stoppestinfo.com/82-how-to-get-rid-of-termites.html guide. Best result were after using spray with boric acid. After using it - all termites are disappear after 2 weeks.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No