Training a Dog to Not Poop Inside

We adopted an 18 month old Cocker Spaniel around 3 months ago. She goes all night with no problems and in the morning she does her business fairly quickly. We take her out a least 6 times a day and we walk her around a mile every day. She seems to poop around 3 or 4 times a day. Is that a problem? She does poop in the living room a least once every day or two. Can anyone help?

By Michael from Media, PA

Best Answer

Is she doing her business the same time daily? If so, take her outdoors and walk her awhile at the time. You might get lucky and she'll emliminate outdoors. Also, she's used to the carpet and there may be hidden residue that keeps drawing her to the carpet. Watch her closely as she circles around the room deciding where to drop her bomb. Then take her outdoors at this point.

Best Answer

Try collecting some poop & placing it in an area of your garden that you want her to do it. Leave it there until she gets the message, take her out to that spot each time you take her outdoors, often dogs poop just after eating a big meal for the day & in the mornings. Cleanse carpet totally so that no smells linger of previous mess. Steam clean or use baking soda mixed with white vinegar & water, not disinfectant as this has ammonia in it which smells like urine to them & will continue to attract the dog to that spot. Good luck.

Make sure you have her on a dry dog food, not canned food. It helps make the wasted more dense and thus less poop.

July 28, 2016 Flag

I recently rescued a 2.5 year old Shih Tzu who had been used for breeding. She is lovely and has settled in well with my 4 year old miniature Schnauzer. I take them out for long walks every day, morning and early evening. I also leave the patio door open most of the day, weather permitting. One of them is pooping every night in the house. I have started feeding them early in the day and then nothing, but a couple of treats which sometimes works, but not always. I end up telling them both off as I dont know which one it is. How can I find out which one it is and what do I do about it? I would appreciate any advice.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Cute dog sitting next to poop
Training a Dog to Not Poop Inside
Pets Dogs House TrainingFebruary 17, 2011
pug in a crate
Crate Training a Dog
Pug looking guilty.
Training a Dog to Poop on a Training Pad
Dog Poop Bag Dispenser
Making a Dog Poop Bag Dispenser
agility training for your dog
Agility Training for Your Dog
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 17, 2017 at 10:20:48 AM on 10.0.1.230 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.