Training AdviceDogs

Puppy Cries When Left Outside

I have a 10 week old puppy, I've had her since she was 5 weeks old. House training is going well, I have a few nipping problems, but we're taking care of it. The big thing is outside... I have a chain for her outside that I would like to be able to put her on for maybe an hour or two a day, mostly when I need to keep her from being underfoot, but the moment you close the door she starts whimpering... and its not a quiet whimper. If it wasn't for the fact that I'd just left her, I'd swear she was getting killed in the most painful manner possible. I've tried stepping out of sight and back in an attempt to build up her confindence that I am indeed coming back, but it doesn't seem to work. I'm really hoping someone has some advice. She's a German Sheperd with no health problems. Please help.

Lindsey from Montana

Separation anxiety; don't we love it :o) Consider leaving something of yours, w/your scent on it, with the puppy when you leave outdoors. There are websites that counsel w/great advice. Does it have any toys you could leave with him? He needs mental stimulation to avoid feeling like he's been abandoned. If it perceives that life is great inside w/you but 'competely sterile' all alone outdoors, it needs other things to keep him occupied. Owning a pet takes practice and they're a lot of responsibility; once you get more experience, your life w/your pet will become easier.

One of my fave pets was a German Shephard-Sheltie mix. She was entirely loyal and devoted and i had twleve lucky years of her companionship.

We raised GSD's as house dogs for years, I love the breed. I have an 8yr old male and just lost my 14yo female. We will be getting a puppy sometime later this year. I hope you are giving corrections for nipping, 5 weeks is early to be removed from mom. The mom teaches her puppies so much. Is there anyway you can let her run loose in a fenced area. Chained dogs can develop lots of problems. You might consider putting her on inside "tie-down", a 3-foot, bite-proof cable that you hook to a ring you screw in the baseboard of the wall. Each time she cries, step out of sight. As soon as she is quiet, come into view with lots of verbal praise. She will yell at first (shepherds can be very vocal and can sound like they are being killed) but she will learn that she can survive if you are not in sight. Crate training can be invaluable when she needs to be in a safe place. Lucky you with a GSD pup. They grow up to be as smart as an 8year old child.

She hasn't been socialized properly since she was too young to be away from mother and siblings. More patience and understanding is needed when a puppy is that young. If she was with her mother and siblings she would learn and gain confidence to be by herself without being afraid. It is so important for a puppy to be with its' family until at least 10 weeks old. Please be very patient.

No offense...but your puppy is ONLY 10 wks! And you got her three wks before you should have taken her away from her Mama. Slow down and let her have some baby time. Please don't chain your puppy! Get a kennel or crate. Put some socks or soft materials for her chewing. She'll need soft objects for her teething. Please take the time with this baby or find someone who has time for her. Why outside in January in the Montana snow? How about a bathroom, kitchen laundry room, or bedroom? Wait till spring for the outdoors. It's winter! What's your rush?

Anonymous

the advise left by everyone here is excellent. Remember that dogs are 'pack' dogs and need to be with other animals whether it be another dog, cat or humans. They weren't meant to be alone and your puppy cries because it's no longer with it's 'pack' and you are it's only companion. Separation anxiety is a big concern. We went through it when we adopted our male German Shepherd when he was about a year old. He was very close to his male owner who gave him up due to medical problems. The anxiety was so bad the vet put our dog on doggy prozac just until he was comfortable knowing we weren't going to abandon him. Your pup needs a crate with something familiar in it like something with your scent on it. Crate training is essential for dogs because not only does it give you peace of mind when you are out of the house (your pet is safe and won't destroy your home), a dog needs it's own personal space to get away from everyone from time to time. This is it's 'den' or bedroom. Research crate training on the internet and buy a crate appropriate to the dog's size. The sites will tell you everything you need to know. Just know that your puppy needs to be with you especially since it should have been left with it's mother and litter mates longer. What's done is done now so please be patient and please don't leave your pup out in the cold. I lived in Montana and I know how cold it gets there. When your puppy gets older, please have it obedience trained. You will never regret it. Good luck!