Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Financial Assistance to Purchase a Car

Is there any kind of help out there for purchasing a car? I am disabled and on a fixed income and I need some kind of help with money purchasing a car.

By armani13 from Brick, NJ

By michelle johnd07/22/2013

I am a single mother with 8 children, 2 of which have disabilities. Firstly my son who 9 year old has epilepsy and a damaged left frontal lobe with the intellectual disability. My daughter will be 2 has Down Syndrome along with other sickness. I reason I'm asking that I would like a vehicle that is reliable where I can them to there appointments.

By Pat [11]07/10/2009

Try Modestneeds.org

By Candy Killion [8]07/10/2009

We used to live in your geographical area a little while back, and when one of our kids reached driving age and was buying her own car( she had a part-time job) she headed down to Route 9 just north of Route 37 in Toms River ( forget the # on that spur past Route 70, think 9 turns into 166?).

There used to be a few small used car lots there--the "buy here, pay here" type. The interest was a little higher than you'd get at a traditional dealer, but they were more forgiving on criteria for giving you a car loan as long as you could show stable income.

It was a weekly payment;she had the car for about seven years altogether and it had been paid off in about three. So, her experience was just what she needed there. May be a thought for you.

Also: some of the smaller "Mom & Pop" type car rental places in that area--rent-a-lemon type places that rent out, usually, just used cars? Ask around there. Many of them will outright sell you a used vehicle ( with payments and a loan) because they only keep them in their fleets for a certain length of time.

By Patricia Eldridge07/09/2009

In our area (Northwest Pennsylvania) Subaru has been running ads for leasing their vehicles with no money done and payments around $200.00 a month. Sometimes the terms for leasing a vehicle are more lenient than they are for buying.