Reed Diffuser Oils

Does anyone know what kind of oil is used in the reed diffuser bottles? I've found sets, but would like to refill the bottles with the bamboo reeds already in them. My oil ran out. Can I use Potpourri oil, or something similar? Thanks.

Kim from Crawford, CO

Haven't done it myself but I am pretty sure you can use any diffuser, potpourri or permune oil ...

You could also make creative sets of your own with narrow vases, small glass juice bottles, etc using bamboo cooking skewers that are really inexpensive and found in almost all grocery stores in two different lengths :-)

Diffuser oils are sold cheaply at San Fransico Herb & Spice Co (in fact, all of their products are wonderful). They sell everything you need to make diffusers. Their oils are top quality, & will state what they consist of.

REED DIFFUSERS

Willow or rattan reeds, purchased at your local craft store

A small vase or jar with a narrow opening

Essential oil

Inexpensive Vodka

A light vegetable-based oil such as safflower or sunflower

Glass beads, optional

Fill the vase about halfway with the vegetable oil, and add 15-20 drops of your favorite essential oil. Add a teaspoon of inexpensive vodka. The high-proof alcohol content in the vodka will help emulsify the oil and water together, and will help with rapid evaporation. Rubbing alcohol is not a good choice because the alcohol content is not high enough for this purpose. Shake gently to mix. Stand the reeds in the vase.

You can adjust the amount of essential oil to your liking, but remember a small amount usually goes a long way. If you use a clear vase, you can add small glass beads for a bit of color. Remember to flip the reeds occasionally to recharge the scent.

I also found an article that mentioned that you could use bath oils or mix scented oils with baby oil.

The discount stores that I shop in have the reed diffusers, potpourri oils, and potpourri all next to each other and they are all the same scents, so I would assume you can use them.

Kim, most of the discount stores in Delta have the small bottles of diffuser oils to use in these.

February 13, 2009 Flag

Does anyone know how to make the beautiful "reed diffuser oils" for far less than what they charge at the decorator stores? Thank you!

Pat W. from Canada

Reed Diffuser Oils

I just made one. Everybody has different ways but here's what I used,

• pure essential oil
  • vegetable oil
  • pretty glass vase, something not too big
  • 15 bamboo reeds
I used two parts vegetable oil and two parts essential oil, if you want it stronger add more essential oil. Mix it a little with the reeds. Also, turn the reeds from time to time for a fresher smell. I used this formula and it works really well. (03/23/2007)

By nataly

Reed diffuser and violets.
Homemade Reed Diffusers
Make Your Own MiscellaneousFebruary 13, 2009
butter on cutting board
Substitutes for Butter in Recipes
plastic coffee mug
Removing Coffee Stains on Plastic
herb vinegar
Fat and Sugar Free Salad Dressing Recipes
Lavender Essential Oil
Using Essential Oils
🎄