Teaching Puppy Not To Chase Hens

What's a good way of teaching my 6 month old puppy not to chase my G. hens when I let them out of the pen? I was going to put him on a leash and walk around in my chicken yard but couldn't even get him into it. He just cried and lay down. Thanks.

Sandy from Mountain View, AR

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

Find out what motivates your pup the most. Is it weiners, cheese, or maybe just your praise? When you have figured this one out, begin to teach him to watch you by saying just that- "Watch me." When he makes eye contact, give him a treat and some praise. When he has this down, take him around the hens, saying "Watch me" . He should be able to do that correctly, and as he watches you and doesn't bother the hens, give him some of the reward. He watches you, he gets a treat. He ignores the hens and he gets a treat. Be sure to tell him "Good dog" whenever he does what you want him to.

Also, if he gets it wrong, pick him up and remove him from the scene. Try again later. The idea is for him to succeed, so help him out by being attentive. Soon he will understand what you want him to do and he will grow up with that behavior as second nature for him.

To fab4mom: Where were you when my guys were little? I could have used your expertise training my three sons.

Large dog sitting near chickens.
Training a Dog Not to Chase Chickens
Pets Dogs Training AdviceAugust 26, 2008
Students in a Kindergarten Classroom
Teaching Kindergarten Students
A dog and cat sitting in at a table in a house looking at each other.
Training a Dog Not to Chase Cats
A dog standing on a driveway.
Training a Dog Not to Chase Cars
A boy making a mean face and sticking out his tongue.
Teaching Children Good Manners
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 5:41:40 PM on 10.0.0.57 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.