Finding Good Chestnuts for Roasting

I love hot, roasted chestnuts! When I was little, mom and I would roast and eat chestnuts every Christmas Eve. It was a just-for-us moment, a very precious memory. I've been trying to recreate that ritual but every time I buy a bag of chestnuts they are rotten. I buy from reputable stores and roast them immediately but when they are shelled they are always covered with a blue mold. Last year I paid $5.00 for a tiny bag and only 2 were edible! Is there any way to tell in advance if chestnuts are fresh?

Jo from Hampton Roads, VA

You have to really look over them and make sure there are no tiny holes in them and they have a good rich brown color. I have a ton of trees and I must have about ten pounds frozen now.

In our local supermarket they sell the chestnuts loose and you can "pick" through them and buy as much as you want. At this time of year, maybe you might find them in your local supermarket. I don't know if it makes any difference but I'm in Phila., PA.

Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsDecember 4, 2007
making a turkey breast
Cooking a Perfect Turkey Breast
water chestnuts
Recipes Using Water Chestnuts
Water Chestnuts
Freezing Water Chestnuts
Freezing Bell Peppers, Canning Bell Peppers, Peeling Bell Peppers, Drying Bell Peppers, Storing Bell Peppers, Growing Bell Peppers, Selecting Good Bell Peppers, Red, Green and Yellow Bell Peppers
Selecting Good Bell Peppers