Tap Water Cloudy and Bubbly

I live in an apartment and lately I have been noticing when I fill a glass up with water from the kitchen sink it looks cloudy and bubbles up like soap suds? I'm not sure why it started doing this, but I have been buying bottled water lately, because I drink so much water per day. Can anyone shed some light on this?

By Onesummer

Where do you live? Are you on city water or well water? Ask your landlord or management office about the water--ask which company supplies the water and call them about your problem. If in doubt, your bottled water is the safe way to go.

Could it be from extra air getting into the pipes somehow? Does it stay cloudy, or does it clear? If it clears after a moment and doesn't have any unusual odor it's probably alright. My grandparents' tap water was always like that. If it's a sudden change that's been going on for awhile though you might mention it to your landlord or the water company.

Yes, it is air in the pipes, and it will get worse. either a pipe has broken, or the release valve is faulty, or if you have a water tank, it needs cleaned out (sediment collects at the bottom, it can only get so high and then it starts clogging the lines and shooting out into your glass) or replaced completely, or the timing switch could be faulty. it depends on what's wrong with it and whether it's a well system or on the city line. as to which of these will need taken care of. you can continue using the water, it's ok, but get yourself a purifyer-they run around $14.00 for the container which comes with your first filter, and $8-15.00 per filter-but it's well worth it. don't get one that attaches to the faucet, the air pressure will damage it.

We share a well, and we've had air in the line for around half a year. it's never quite fully been corrected, and since we are the secondary user we have no control or much knowledge about it, just what I've said earlier in this note, but when it gets to be too much, the water filter is a great blessing.

If you start getting large blasts of air or grit or mud (or even pebbles), it's more than time to make a serious fuss about it. we set our foot down when the water turned brown, and again when I was scalded by hot water following a blast of air.

We and our neighbors are semi-rural and lower middle income, so we do what we can to muddle through until there's enough money to do the right repairs, but if you are on city and it's your manager's responsibility, don't wait, you have the right to expect and get properly working pluming. I've rented and owned, had both city and well, and at the end of the faucet, it's all the same.

Home and Garden Home Improvement PlumbingFebruary 3, 2010
Cloudy water in an above ground pool.
Cloudy Water in an Above Ground Pool
Hard Water Stains
Getting Rid of Hard Water Stains
Bottled Water
Saving Money on Bottled Water
laminate samples
Cloudy White Spots on Laminate Countertop