Finding a Decorative Bead for Formal Dress

I really need to find this bead. I've given up if I don't find this bead my head is on the chopping block. I found it once, but the lady who supplied them to me recently passed away and I can no longer find this bead. I've tried Fire Mountain Gems they do not have it.

I need this bead is to make my niece's sweet 16 dress. You see she wants a gown inspired by the one I used for my wedding, but she is a size 6 and my gown is a size 2.

Here is a picture of the bead and dress. Have a great day. (It's the silver teardrop on the dress; it is a 6x3mm.)

By Adriana from New York, NY

Sometimes people can't have everything they want and age 16 isn't too early to find that out. Why such a fancy dress? Around here they wear jeans, shorts, casual dresses, etc. for birthday parties. Even when the party is held in a ball room or country club, I haven't heard of evening gowns being worn.

Dear, that does seem to be an elaborate dress for a 16-year-old! I wouldn't try to have that much beading, if any, and the teardrop bead doesn't seem to be a necessary part of the design. It could easily be eliminated. What happened to 16 year old girls just looking fresh & pretty? Enough time to be elaborate for her wedding.

Good luck with that. Have you posted to any bead enthusiasts groups? I don't belong to any but I'm sure they are out there. Maybe you could use something similar. While I agree with the others than we learn at some point that we don't always get things just exactly like we want them, I do not agree that she should not have a beautiful gown for her 16th. I know that all cultures are different and if this is what works for her, then I say, "Go for it Princess 16 Year Old!" Who wouldn't want to be all dressed up for a dance looking that gorgeous! Happy bead hunting.

Here is a 3 X 5 glass pearl. Not exact, but pretty close, and they also have it in off-white: ... itemsPerPage/100/page/1/item/40GP612

Having said that, I think your dress is lovely, but it seems a bit over the top for a sixteen year old (at least to me it does). Would your head really be on the chopping block for a sixteen year old? I'm sure she'd like something special, but it's nothing to bite off her aunt's head about if it isn't exact. But it might just be different standards, we didn't have big bashes for our birthdays.

I hope you find something acceptable, and that everyone is happy in the end. Best of luck!

Dear Adriana,

God love you for wanting to do this for your niece, I think it's wonderful. Perhaps you could use a different bead. Maybe your niece could help with picking it out. It would be wonderful to see a photo when it's all done. God Bless

monetgardening aka Marie

I can't tell what size the bead is you need, but I found a teardrop bead in silver rather inexpensively priced. Good Luck!

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes ... p;aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

I googled silver teardrop beads and found a bunch to try. Oriental Trading Co. is a good place to start. Also, keep in mind that repurposing a nice piece of jewelry is a good find, too. Once, I bought a string of faux beads for a dime, and used it for 18 wedding frames.

Don't let anyone sway you from the dress of her dreams. I would have given anything to have someone care that much about a dress for me when I was 16...You are making a memory she and you will remember for a lifetime.

Bless you for caring that much.

Aww thank you all for helping me out I love you all well I found some at a website called gets. Cn it's in china but they sell for 95.95 Dollars 10 bags you see that is the minimum they allow you to buy on the other hand I could replace the teardrop with some twisted bugle beads that will look nice and yes I will be posting pictures of the dress as I progress =) thank you all hope to hear from you soon! -Adriana

You know what? If she has a favorite necklace or earrings that she hasn't worn in...forever. That would be a neat bead-set to use. Turns the decoration onto a more commemorative note. Just a thought. I'm very sentimental. :)

Consumer Advice Product FinderJune 9, 2010
Making an Easy Bead Pendant
Making an Easy Bead Pendant
Making Tri-Bead Keychains
Wedding Dress
Cleaning a Wedding Dress
Wedding Dress Sale square
Saving Money on a Wedding Dress