Cleaning a Down Jacket

I have a white down jacket that I only wore once and left in the closet. This year it has become yellowish, it is no longer white. Does anyone have any suggestion as to how to get it white again. Will it whiten out if I bring it to the dry cleaner? Please let me know. Thank you.

Sara from California

I cleaned my down jacket and it turned out great, but it has a mildew smell maybe from the feathers. I washed it twice and it was dryed with tennis ball. Any tips on getting the smell out?

I was just wondering if I could dry clean a down Jacket. Like if it would get the stains out. I just bought a white one .. and if the stains around the wrists and neck would come out with dry cleaning it would be great, but if not I might return it for the black one!

i have a white down jacket. it washes & dries fairly nice (in dryer w/ tennis balls) however the SMELL is so nasty. how can i get rid of it????

November 30, 2006 Flag

Please tell me how to clean my down jacket. I don't have a dryer. Any tips? I already washed it and possibly made a mess, the feathers are all stuck together.

Carole Demry

Answers:

Cleaning a Down Jacket

You could try asking a friend who has a dryer to borrow it for a while. If you stick a canvas shoe (preferably a clean one) in with it most of the feathers should come apart. (04/17/2005)

By Sara Finn

Cleaning a Down Jacket

You could also take the jacket to a commercial laundry (do it yourself.) I don't think you need to rewet it. Just toss it in a dryer with a canvas tennis shoe, as mentioned previously, or a few tennis balls, to separate the feathers and fluff it up. Same technique works for down comforters and throws.

I love this website. Thanks to everyone who provides all the great suggestions! (04/19/2005)

By Claudia

Home and Garden Cleaning ClothingNovember 30, 2006
Leather Jacket
Cleaning Body Oil Stains on Leather Jacket
Hot Tea
Cooling Down Hot Drinks
Leather Jacket
Cleaning Stains on a Leather Jacket
Girl wearing a leather jacket.
Caring for a Leather Jacket
🎄