Keep Kids From Using Too Many Bandages

contest winner icon

This tip may only work for families with boys. There may be a way to adapt it to girls but, as a mother of five boys ranging in age from 10 to 30, I can only attest to its effectiveness with the male species. Any parent can probably relate to the bandaid dilemma. Kids seem to think they need a bandaid for every bump, bruise, scrape or whatever they receive. This can cause a shortage of bandaids when one is really needed.

I solved this problem with my male children one day when I received that troubling phone call at work that I needed to stop at the store and buy bandaids. Looking at my choices (always looking for the best deal), I came across some "Hello, Kitty" bandaids. Knowing that my manly children would only wear those if the need was REALLY there, I bought those and it worked! Now, no more careless and extravagant uses of the bandaids. Sometimes, it's hard to get them to wear them even if I think they need to, but it has worked out really well for me. I don't know what parents of girls could do to make it work for them but it sure works for me!

By Janis from Cinebar, WA

I totally think it could work for girls, my daughter would be so embarassed to go to school (she is in Pre-K) with a Spiderman band-aid.

This was a hoot. Way to go coming up with a creative solution that freed you from having to gripe and nag and get upset in the process. Now instead of sniping, you are secretly snickering at your own smartness and thriftiness!!

What a great idea! I have 2 sons, no girls. maybe I could use this idea when they don't get their sheets to me to be washed in a timely manner! Don't bring your sheets in time, you will be sleeping on barbie sheets this week! I bet I would only ever use the Barbie sheets once! Thank you for a great idea!

I know what you mean about kids wanting to use too many band-aids. I made a rule the kids had to be BLEEDING before they got a band-aid. The next time they got a small scrape, they SQUEEZED it to make sure it bled! Kids!!

THat is great! I agree it may not work for girls, I always loved getting into the boy toys! But my boys are 4 and 1, so using Dora may still be nice!

Great idea! Living in a house full of te male species (and one daughter) it is absolutely going to work!

Thanks Janis!!!!!!

I used to do that! I thought I was the only one. It does work. My boys are 21 and 17 now.

any tips for MAKING them use band aids?? my son will not touch a band aid, even if he needs it. he'd rather just sit there until it scabbed over then to put one on. we went to the dr. once and they drew blood, which was fine with him, he didn't holler once. they even slipped the band aid on him without him noticing. then we got home and he found it and started screaming bloody murder. i dont have a clue what his phobia about band aids are!

This tip is just too funny! Thanks for posting this. I never would have thought of it myself.

I also love jillian357's related idea of threatening the boys with Barbie sheets if they don't proactively bring their bed linens to be washed. :-)

Sounds like a good idea except not for my girls, now 22 and 19. They've always liked typical girl or guy stuff. They both have spiderman t-shirts and superman t-shirts that they wear now. I sure liked your ingenuity.

Awesome idea!! I thought our 7 yr. old was the only one who went through bandaids like crazy...needing one for every little bump and bruise. This one will definitely work and I thank you for the creative solution! My husband and I joke that we should buy stock in the bandaid companies!

That's a very good piece of advice. thanks

What a fantastic idea! The bandaid manufacturers are always coming up with new designs to entice kids to use them, it's up to use to use their creativity to reduce usage.

And Jillian357, that's a clever idea too!

The idea was so cute I had to come give approval. I can see those boys now, backing away from the band aids. LOL

What's the big deal about bandaids? Get them at the dollar store and let them use them. Bandaids are comforting.They only want them when they are little and they are only little once. Give them the bandaids!

I love the barbie sheet idea too, maybe that will be how I can get my son from wetting the bed @ night :)

Great idea for 'manly' kids. My own (mixed genders) refused to remove the bandaid until we noticed rashes from the adhesive! Now I sympathise with how much the 'owie' hurts, how brave the child is and ask if there is blood. No? No bandaid necessary, Sweetie. Yes? Will you die from this amount of bleeding? No? No hurry for the bandaid. It may sound insensitive but they usually calm right down & go on with their activities.

Parenting General Parenting AdviceApril 19, 2006
A safety pin with beads in a flag pattern.
Patriotic Craft Ideas For Kids (USA)
A child not listening by covering his ears.
Getting Your Kids to Listen
A child putting coins in a donation bucket.
Teaching Kids About Holiday Giving
Post it note that says clean your room on it.
Getting Kids to Keep Their Rooms Clean
🎉
🎄