How Do I Soften Hard Table Salt? - Categories:

Food FixesFood Tips

How Do I Soften Hard Table Salt?

I have some regular table salt that became hard. Is there a way I can get it back to its normal state?

By MaryAnn from Beaver, OH

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Put the salt in a zip type bag, place a towel on top of it and use your meat tenderizer to pound it. You can also put it in a blender.

After getting it powdered again, put it in a jar with a tight or 2 piece canning lid.

Since I live in Oregon and everything eventually gets wet, crackers get stale really fast, etc. I keep everything in 1/2 gallon canning jars with the 2 piece canning lids and I never have a problem. After 2 years in a canning jar, my brown sugar is still as soft as the day I bought it!

When you fill your salt shaker add some regular {not instant} rice to the shaker and it will absorb moisture and keep it soft.

I have no suggestion for already hard salt. But when you fill your salt shake add some rice grains in it. This will prevent the salt going hard. Happy Holidays

I tried the suggestion to put the salt in a bag, break it up and the put it through a food processor. The bag split but I didn't really lose that much salt. You need to use a high powered processor, not the small handy variety. I still had a couple of really hard lumps but I salvaged most of the salt.

I had a large box of canning salt that had harden. I put it in a gallon zip lock bag took my rolling pin on counter top and hit it a few times and rolled it. I put it in a rubbermaid container for storage. No fuss no mess and it was good as new

December 19, 2009 Flag

I have a box of iodized table salt that has been left in our RV for some time and has drawn moisture to the point it is rock, solid hard. Is there any way to restore it to its original grains and make it usable again? I know this won't be a big loss if I have to toss it, but would like any ideas anyone may have. Thanks so much.

Karen from Gainesville, MO

Answers:

How Do I Soften Hard Table Salt?

I would just pound it with something, like a rolling pin. Put the salt in a plastic bag. Even if it is chunky, you can still use it to cook. It will dissolve. I suppose you could try a crust of bread with the salt in a sealed container. It works for brown sugar. (08/22/2008)

By louel53

How Do I Soften Hard Table Salt?

I have never had that problem, but if it were me, I would get the grater out and grate it.

slowbob (08/22/2008)

By slowbob

How Do I Soften Hard Table Salt?

Grating it sounds like the way to go, but is it worth the effort? Do you maybe have lots of weeds you want to get rid of? Melt it down in boiling water and pour it over the unwanted weeds and grass. (08/22/2008)

How Do I Soften Hard Table Salt?

You might try putting it in a container with a lid along with dry rice and shaking it briskly.
Or have you thought of putting it into a (dry) blender and blending it for just a quick pulse. Of course, you would want to thoroughly wash the blender after doing this, in order to keep the taste of your other foods from being affected.
When you put the salt in the shaker, put rice in it to keep the salt from clumping. (08/22/2008)

By Dibbs

How Do I Soften Hard Table Salt?

Put it into a blender or food processor for a second or 2. But they sell that stuff for 3 for a dollar at my local dollar store. So I'd buy a new box to cook with and use that nasty stuff to clean with or to make bath salts (write me for a directions) or to melt ice on the walkway in the winter. (08/22/2008)

By Cyinda

Food and Recipes Food Tips Food FixesDecember 19, 2009
Interior of a full dishwasher.
Removing Hard Water Stains Inside Dishwasher
lucite salt and pepper grinders
Finding Lucite Salt/Pepper Grinders
White changing table with drawers below.
Uses for a Baby Changing Table
A salt dough ornament on a Christmas tree.
Making Salt Dough Ornaments
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 22, 2016 at 12:27:26 PM on 10.0.2.107 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.