Modifying Crocheted Sweaters

My daughter is 14 years old and very particular about her clothes. Luckily she is happy to shop at thrift stores and is willing to spend her own allowance and money from relatives on clothing she doesn't "need".

Recently we found a bunch of beautiful hand crocheted sweaters; you know the lacy kinds with floral or medallion patterns, under which she can wear camisoles or spaghetti strap shirts. She just loved them, but she really hates long sleeves all the way down to her wrists and prefers a 3/4 sleeve.

So we cut off about 6-8 inches of the end of the sleeves, finished off the new sleeves with trim or trim and beaded fringe (homemade) or ribbon. Then we used the cut off ends to make cellphone purses.

We don't use cellphones (although my daughter keeps dreaming of one!), but we know how popular they are. We sewed up the finished ends of the crocheted tube. Then we sewed a liner from velvet, satin, or other scraps we had (several liners came from a $1 velvet girl's dress we found at a thrift store). We put the liner inside the crochet tube, sewed them together at the top by covering the opening with bias tape or a strip of liner fabric. Then we added cord for the strap and using a strip of liner fabric, sewed a 1x4 inch flap over the top to be fastened with a snap or Velcro (so the phone won't fall out).

The purse is also great for glasses or will hold a checkbook, small wallet, and keys.

By Allison

I love your visions on helping our environmental issues. If you ever start something up email me and I will look at what you got.

How about making squares and sewing them together for doggie coats, or, pillow tops ,cover an old blanket for a toasty wrap in winter, leg warmers might work too. If you get something going , please post , so I can have a look and maybe purchase ? Hope some of these ideas will "click" for you. Rose P.S. just thought of something else, how bout doll clothes ?

old sweaters
Recycling Sweaters Into Crafts
Crafts ClothingJuly 9, 2004
Recycle Sweaters into Scarves
Recycling Sweaters into Scarves
A knitted item with a ball of yarn being unraveled from it.
Recycle Yarn From Old Sweaters
A door opening inward.
Changing Which Way a Door Opens
Removing Lint from Sweaters