What is Shortening?

What is shortening? It is listed in a waffle recipe.

By Sevesh from South Africa

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

It would be similar to lard, but from what I was taught many years ago when I was a kid, it is healthier. One brand available in the US is Crisco. I don't know how to explain it any different. I'm sure you have something like it where you live. I wouldn't subsitute lard for the shortening though, because lard is greasier.

This article mentions something in South Africa called 'Holsom' as a substitute:

http://chowhoun  390?tag=untagged

http://bakingbi  t-is-shortening/

a bit about Holsom here: http://www.theb  -puff-pasty.html

Most waffle recipes I know of use either vegt oil or melted butter and some use buttermilk. I don't think I have seen one that uses shortening.

Edit: oops, I just found one that does: http://southern  s/r/bl30201v.htm

I would think you could substitute melted butter or vegt oil in place of the shortening if they call for melted shortening like this recipe.

Actually now they are saying shortening is not healthy. I haven't used it in years. You can use oil or butter, they will be just as good. Hardly any recipes these days call for shortening but the old ones do.

It's hydrogenated vegetable oil. This stuff seals the cells so they can't respirate or get rid of toxins. Causes cellular damage, that can lead to all of the really bad & no so bad diseases. They say you can use virgin or extra-virgin coconut oil. I haven't tried it, but it's good for you.

Shortening is a type of man made solid grease. If you render the fat from an animal, you get solid grease called lard. Lard was used for years but shortening does not have the strong taste like lard. I've used it in recipes for almost 80 years.

Crisco is vegetable based and used in recipes instead of animal fat. Some recipes just need the old fashioned taste though. Bacon grease is still the best to make corn bread like mom and grandma made. Just don't make it every day, use common sense. Also Crisco in a small amount is a wonderful moisturizer for face and hands. GG Vi

You must be very young! But do stay away from it. Use it very infrequently. It's an artery clogger!!

Like they said, the solid form of animal fat. As an alternative, use coconut oil. It's not for everything, just when the recipe calls for shortening.

Food and Recipes Food Tips Food InfoMay 8, 2010
Men's Shirt
Shortening Men's Shirt Sleeves
Cooking With Butter
Cooking With Butter
Shortening with Knife
Uses for Shortening
Man Loading a Dishwasher
Removing Grease in a Dishwasher
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 6:47:31 PM on 10.0.0.57 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.