Storing Peach Seeds Until Planted

I want to plant some peach seeds that I recently acquired, but everyone says to plant them in the fall. So what do I do with the seeds right now?

Hardiness Zone: 8b

Nancy from Picayune, MS

You can store them in the freezer in a ziplock bag, but really it is not too early to plant them, I would plant them in something like a CoolWhip container or a cottage cheese container. Put a few drainage holes in the bottom and make sure they don't dry out, and they should be sprouted and growing by fall. Then transplant them into the ground. I don't know what area you are in, but here in Arkansas, I had a peach tree that I started from a seed, and unfortunately, the weather never allowed me to reap much of a harvest. One year it was so loaded I had to prop up the branches, but we had so much rain that the peaches molded on the tree before they ripened. However, they dropped to the ground, and the next year, I had peach tree seedlings for everyone in the county! I replace the peach tree with a strawberry bed, and still find seedlings. I have 5 of them potted now for a friend to transplant when the weather cools.

Good luck with yours.

Harlean from Arkansas

Dry Seeds
Drying and Storing Seeds
Home and Garden Gardening SeedsJuly 1, 2008
Someone peeling a a peach.
Peeling Peaches
Several nectarines from the farmer's market.
Storing Nectarines
Peach pits and fruit on white background.
Growing Peach Trees from Pits
Sowing seeds directly.
Direct Sowing Seeds