Not Many Tomatoes

My tomato plant has lots of flowers but only three tomatoes. It's about 4 feet tall and in a pot we planted the beginning of June. Am I being impatient or doing something wrong?

Bnike from Sac., CA

I would say that being that the plant is 4 feet tall, it is doing good. Thinking of the time frame from planting to harvesting, you need to be patient as this plant is less than 60 days old. Tomatoes normally go about 90 days to harvest.

One year I had a tomato plant in a flower bed that got daily water. It grew HUGE but didn't have many tomatoes! I wonder if you are overwatering your tomatoes. I grew up in "Sacratomato" and I know you have great weather for growing them there.

Tomatoes do not need a pollinator, there wind pollinated, one of the things that will keep your tomatoes from setting is the temperature if it gets over 85 degrees during the day the blossoms will falloff and I think it's below 40 it night. You can pick up a spray bottle of blossoms set to set flowers. Since you have plenty of blossoms and nice lush growth. you will probably be getting some tomatoes, just put your plants out earlier next time.

Seems like the season is only starting, more tomatoes may be coming. Mine has about a dozen hard green things.

I think maybe your tomatoes need feeding. Here in the UK I feed mine once a week with commercial tomato food,which I,m sure you can also buy in the States. Also just be patient.If youdo all the right things your tomatoes will fruit Good luck Jan Grantham UK.

Sometimes tomato and plants from the squash family just don't get enough wind to pollinate. What you can try is this. When your tomato plants bloom, go out early in the morning when the blooms have opened. Take a broom and "sweep" through the blooms, knocking each bloom around a bit. You need to do it with enough force to knock the pollen off, but not enough to damage the plants.

I had this happen last year with pumpkin plants. My mother-in-law told me about seeing a friend of hers do this. I gave it a try and sure enough, it worked.

Where I live, tomatoes will not set in the heat of the summer. The plant will bloom, the buds will be pollinated, but will dry up and fall off. As soon as the weather cools a little, the new blooms will grow into tomatoes again. The plants will continue to grow, and end up being well over 8' tall.

Where I live, tomatoes will not set once the weather gets above a certain temp. They will bud, pollinate, then the tiny tomato will dry up and fall off. The plant however, will keep growing. After the heat has passed, the plant will again set tomatoes that will mature.

Sometimes, it takes a plant at least 6 weeks to just get established before actively setting tomatoes. Is the plant getting enough sun? Too little sun will leave you with scraggly plants and few tomatoes.

. I'd jst received this in an email from Rebecca Cole from Rebecca's garden.

The summer has been hot no doubt. Typically tomatoes thrive in heated conditions, however when they are setting flowers heat can be a big problem. Tomatoes will only set flowers when temperatures are between 55 - 75. And even if a flower is developed and temperatures remain high if it doesn't get pollinated quickly, the blossom will drop from the plant which means no tomato. It's called "blossom drop." There's not much we can do but wish for cooler temperatures and hope that we have a long fall!

Home and Garden Gardening GrowingJuly 15, 2007
Peeling Tomatoes
Peeling Tomatoes
Canned Tomatoes on White Background
Canning Tomatoes
Saving Money on Tomatoes
Saving Money on Tomatoes
Tw Red Tomatoes sitting in Ice
Using Frozen Tomatoes
🎄