BathroomCleaning

Milk Stains on Foam Mattress

Category Bathroom

I would like to know if anyone out there has tips on cleaning dried in milk stains from foam a mattress? My kid likes to drink milk form his bottle when he sleeps and I often find a wet patch of milk on the mattress. it has happened many times and now the bedroom is starting to smell because of this problem. help!

Sam from Germany

You could try sponging with some Club soda, but if the milk has soaked into the foam mattress it might be difficult to remove. Also it's not a good idea to let little ones drink milk as they go to sleep, as this encourages tooth decay. Try switching to water - this will also solve the milk-stain problem. Good luck!

You can try sprinkling borax (available in the laundry detergent aisle) on it, after slightly dampening the matress, then allowing it to dry. It might not get rid of the stain, but it will get rid of the odor.

Do not let your grandchild go to sleep with a bottle of milk. This will rot his teeth, especially his front teeth. Dentists call this bottle mouth, and see it in kids who are put down with a milk or juice bottle. The sugars and acids in milk and juice remain in prolonged contact with especially front teeth and many kids wind up having to have crowns until the perm. teeth come in.

I am a nurse, NEVER let a child go to bed with a bottle.. you do not eat when you sleep. This rots teeth and promots bad eating habits!!! Milk is not the all powerful nutritional food for a baby. They should not really have cows milk till over a year anyhow. Sorry for going on and on but it bothers me. Then you will have no more milk stains.

Sam,

If the mattress is a foam mattress have you tried pouring a dish soap on the mattress and taken the mattress to a car wash and used the high pressured washer there to wash the mattress? You would have to get it dried somehow then...or simply buy a new mattress and start again.

You should put a plastic sheet on top of the foam mattress AFTER you get it cleaned then put on the sheet set. Now and even later when potty training starts all you have to do is take of the wet and soiled sheet, wipe down the plastic sheet and put clean sheets on. That way the mattress stays clean. Now with my teenagers I put 2 - 3 old thin blankets between the mattress and the sheet set in order to keep the mattress clean. No plastic anymore. Plastic sheet...or large plastic garbage bag cut to fit. It will crinkle but the kids and you will get used to it and it works.

I was looking for tips since my baby has a feeding tube that leaked milk into his bed. He is sick baby and is on a continuous feed for 24/7. Shame on everyone for scolding when you don't know the situation.

Anonymous

Thats why i am here..feeding tubes are messy n acid reflux rends to cause lots of puking..hubby said he cleaned up but didnt flip the mattress!

I also agree never let child sleep with milk but I have a four month old with formula. I had a small spill on my pillow top mattress now it smells like yeast. I cant figure a way to clean it anyone? Help please it's a new bed.

When I breastfeed my baby in the middle of the night she sometimes spits up or it leaks out of her mouth. Milk stains happen.

Have you tried ammonia, it works on most things, good luck.

Anonymous

I spilled a bowl of milk onto my foam mattress.

First, I blotted up what liquid I could with a towel. Then , I used my small vacuum cleaner on the mattress until the mattress was dry. Next, I sprayed upholstery cleaner on the stains and vacuumed that as well. Finally, I sprinkled scented carpet powder (you could use baking soda instead ), vacuumed that and I have a fan blowing on the mattress.