Freezing Corn on the Cob

This may be a little early in the season, but as I used the last of my corn from the freezer for dinner tonight, it reminded me to share this with everyone. Over the years, I have tried many times to freeze corn on the cob. Most instructions say to blanch and cool. But we didn't like the "off" flavor that method imparted. I think I have found the perfect, and also the most simple, way. And the end result is corn on the cob from the freezer that is as good as from the garden!

Just take your ears of corn as you pick them or as you bring them from the market. Do not remove the husks or the silks. Don't even strip them down. Just cut the sharp end off the bottom of the ear just below the cob. Wrap each ear separately in plastic handi-wrap and pop them into the freezer. They do not have to be bagged. I have a wire basket to keep them together.

When you are ready to use them, remove the plastic wrap, leave the husks intact, and lay them, a couple at a time, in the microwave. We are a family of two, so I do two ears in the microwave at high power for 10-12 minutes. Carefully, using potholders, pull the husks off and brush the silk away. Dress them up with a little butter and salt. YUM! Tastes like fresh from the garden!

By Harlean from Arkansas from Hot Springs, AR

I am so glad you also found the simple joy of fresh tasting corn on the cob. When we get the word that the silver queen is available here in s. Alabama, we buy a bushel, bring it home in a rush, and have it all in the freezer within a couple hours. We do check for any worms at the tip, and chop them off below their "activity", but well wrapped, or done with the vacuum bags, which we use, because we have them, we have used corn that was done a year before, and it tastes like we just pulled it. Glad you made people aware, again, 'cause there just isn't anything quite as yummy as "fresh" corn on the cob.