AdviceCrafts

Putting Pictures on a Backpack

My daughter wants a backpack for school that no one else has and would like for me to custom make her a backpack. Is there a way I can print pictures of her favorite character from the computer and put them on a back pack? What kind of special printing paper would I use and how would it be applied or fused onto the backpack?

Lisa from Tucson, AZ

You can purchase the photo transfer paper at any office supply store or at walmart ,Then you would either scan a picture and copy it or just print the picture off from the internet.Then you iron it on the back pack .The paper comes with easy instructions.

Hi, I think that's a great idea! To personalize her backpack. I know you can go to any craft shop/or craft department in Walmart and buy Decoupage Glue, You could outline the picture with pieces of old material and make frames for them, In all shapes and sizes and put some of the Decoupage glue down first stick the framed picture to the backpack, Then Cover entire framed pictured, even over the edges and the glue will dry clear. And it will remain soft. Try that on something else first, Just so you are not testing the backpack, And possibly ruining it! Good Luck with your craft!

Jackie, From Southern, Massachussetts

Fabric shops also carry the iron-on transfer paper. Be sure when you print it you set your printer to print a mirror image - especially if there are letters or numbers in it!

Hi, Lisa.

A good friend of mine just made a quilt using old photographs. She was able to scan them into her computer and then print them ... on fabric! To the best of my knowledge she doesn't have a special printer, but used a special type of fabric.

Alternatively, if you want to use paper, why not cover the photos with heavy plastic (fabric shops carry it) before sewing: more durable and rain resistant.

Cheers,

Rose Anne

Thanks for all the good ideas! I bought some fabric iron on "paper" to print on. She has picked out her favorite characters (littlest Pet Shop animals) and I am going to print those. Hopefully, it won't be a problem with ironing on the backpack that I have bcs there are some painted designs on it. I'm wondering if I can use the mod podge to 'seal" it, so if it gets dirty, I could just wipe it down.

Another idea that I have is to use iron on t-shirt transfers (since I have a ton of those that I got off ebay a few years ago) and iron it on white fabric and then glue it down on the backpack with modge podge. I suppose if one doesn't work, I will try the other! Now I just have to find backpacks at the thrift store!

A neat trick has been handed down to me, and now my kids are using it with their kids. Get a yard or less, even, of 100% cotton material in that characters print. Using a double-sided, press-on fusible backing paper, cut out the shapes press to one side of the fusible backing paper. Press, and cut out the shape. Remove the backing and apply to the book bag. To ensure it stays in place, you can use stiff needle and nylon thread to do a quick whip-stitch around the edges, or you can leave just the edges unfused and follow the edge with a bead of fabric glue. Both work well.