Have Them Pick Their Own Gift From Thrifty Finds

I am a cybergrannie and it is difficult to choose gifts for my children and grandchildren. I buy clothes and odds and ends from yard sales, thrift stores and church sales and sort these out in a small room set aside for this purpose. I have a rack for hanging clothes and shelves for folded clothes. I try to sort by size but this is not necessary.

At Christmas and when anyone's birthday arrives, they get to go into this "special" room and pick out whatever they like. They all tell me that they love this idea and I never have to worry about giving something they do not like or have to return. I have been doing this for several years and never had anyone go away empty handed.
As a bonus, I spend about 1/3 (or less) amount of money as in the past.

Hope someone can use this suggestion. I have never heard of anyone doing this before.

By Cybergrannie from Belleview, FL

What a great idea.

People who don't want to shop yard sales and thrift stores could even buy new gifts and display them as you suggested and let family choose.

If you have a Walgreens in your area, you could get a lot of free after rebate or inexpensive items that your children and grandchildren could use. I have gotten toothpaste, makeup, body wash and a lot of other items. If you have a CVS in your area, you could earn ExtraBucks that could be used to buy gifts. At both stores you can use coupons for the items that you are buying and save even more.

I don't have a special room dedicated to this like you do, but I do shop after holiday sales, yard sales, thrift stores for new or delicately used items that can be used as gifts (or kept for myself). I keep my "gift stash" in a private cabinet in my home. I keep gift bags, gift tags, wrapping paper, tissue paper, tape, scissors, all close by. I can whip up a gift at a moments notice. I save greatly using this method & it was an idea from a dear old co-worker from years ago, something she'd done as a widowed grandmother with lots of grandkids to buy for. It's one of the best moneysaving tips I've ever received.

i like that idea my mom is constantly buying my kids things at the thrift stores my kids are always complimented on their clothes my daughter proudly goes i got it at the thrift store the kids say wheres that?? i wanna go!!!!!! lol i definitely love them too the best gift i can get is a certificate for the thrift i even asked for them!!!! you are a good grannie too Ü

We think alike...For an added Freebee,log onto WalMart home page.Near the top right corner it says "in stores now" click on it and you can get "FREE" no hitch,samples.At yard sales or consignment shoppes(look for"final mark dwns.or ask when)mostly I buy shoes of sneakers for my youngest GD.Max.$6.00 and they're name brand..enjoy...keeper

Holidays and Parties Gifts AdviceJanuary 11, 2008
Fishing gear.
Making a Fishing Gift Basket
Antique wood three drawer table and upholstered side chair.
Cleaning Antique Wood Furniture
Photo of Dorothy from the movie The Wizard of Oz.
Making a Dorothy Costume (Wizard of Oz)
painting furniture
Making Old Furniture Look New
🎄
🍂