Fixing Bump on Furniture

Hi, I recently bought a desk. I was fixing a hinge that had been put on incorrectly. When I went to put the screws back in I put a long screw in the wrong hole and ended up putting the tip of the screw all the way through to the front of the desk. I was able to put the wood back down, but the bump is still noticeable. Is there are good way to fix a mistake like this? Thank you so much!

Kelley

I would take out the "bump" and clean all the area around the hole with a brush or whatever to get rid of the dust, etc. Then put wood glue on the piece and the area of the hole. Then put together. If you can clamp it, then do that, if not place something heavy on top to keep the pieces together until they dry.

If you want to keep things really easy, cover the spot with a towel to prevent further marks and lightly hammer over your bump with a rubber mallet, not a hammer. Most of the time, you can get the bump almost level with the surrounding wood without any further damage.

Just place a towel (not too thick) over the bump and take a board and a hammer and hit it. The towel stops it from marring furniture and start light then harder till it goes down. First you have to take out the long screw you put in and even if you put in a fatter screw make it shorter, or none of it will work.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Furniture RepairNovember 21, 2004
Finding the Value of Conant Ball Furniture
Furniture polish being sprayed on wood furniture.
Removing Furniture Polish Build Up from Wood Furniture
Antique Wood Furniture with Sticky Film
Cleaning Wood Furniture With a Sticky Film
Office chair with lime green cushions.
Fixing a Squeaky Office Chair
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 23, 2017 at 1:24:08 PM on 10.0.2.252 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.