I Need Help Planning a Bridal Shower

My daughter lives in Australia, she is getting married here in the states. What kind of shower can I give her, she obviously cannot transport toasters, irons, and coffeepots back to Australia. Help!

By kt from MI

Larger items can be shipped, but more than likely she doesn't need those items anyway. I would suggest a linen shower, with suggestions of what colors she would like in those items.

I threw a baby shower for my friend who was visiting from out of town. Everyone who came to the shower chipped in for a gift card to a store where she was registered. Everyone just emailed me how much they were contributing, I bought the gift card, and then they gave me the money at the party. In this kind of situation, I don't think gift cards are tacky, they are practical. If people want to give her something more "personal" they could bring a love poem or a piece of marriage advice and you could put them all in a scrapbook for her.

These days you can buy gift cards online. Why not find out what stores she is registered in and ask people to contribute to a gift card, they can give you the money and you could send for the gift card. This way she gets something useful. Each guest could also bring a great recipe and a helpful hint to add to a book. Don't forget to take photos to put next to each recipe and hint. The photo/recipe book will be a great hit. One added thought is that each person decides on the gift from the registration and that pic goes into the book also. Good luck.

My daughter lives in Australia. It is a nightmare to mail anything. Believe it or not, best value to mail is priority. Large box ain't so large. 12 x 12 x4 1/2 is $64. One ounce envelope is 94 cents. Good luck. Wait till you hear the phone rates. Internet email is possible but not reliable. Apparently lines there are anything but up to date.

You could do a money tree, with a short explanation on the invitations why there should be no bought gifts. Gift certificates might NOT be a good idea - stores in the States may not be in Australia. Or maybe you could suggest gift certificates to mail order houses, but then shipping costs would deduct from the gift amount. I'd go with the money tree.

Make sure you have activities planned as there will be no gift opening during the shower (which usually takes up a good amount of time). Tape numbers under chairs and draw numbers for prizes, that's one idea. I'm sure there are quite a few games to play at showers.

I agree with the concept of the money tree and gift cards, but you could add a virtual twist to it. I once attended a baby shower where they streamed live video to the mother who was on bed rest in another state, or if you are not that techy, simply record the the event and send it to your daughter. Either via mail or digitally. This way she can really feel apart of the event.

Make sure to send her (a party care package) either ahead of time or after. Don't forget to include shots of the room, food, you playing any games, and messages to the bride.

Hope that helps. Good luck and congratulations.

Bridal Shower Ideas, Bridal Shower
Bridal Shower Ideas
Ideas for a Breakfast at Tiffany's Bridal Shower, Tiffany's gift box.
Ideas for a Breakfast at Tiffany's Bridal Shower
tea sandwiches
Bridal Shower Food Ideas
Shower Enclosure
Cleaning a Shower Enclosure
Bridal Shower Games Ideas
Bridal Shower Games Ideas
🎉
🎄