Use Baking Soda to Remove Hairspray from Your Hair

By Donna 1

How many times do you need to wash your hair with baking soda before all the hairspray residue is gone? I've washed it 3 times now and there is still some there, (my hair has been suffering with hairspray residue for over 12 months).

I've had to buy some Aussie Miracle Treatment conditioner, because the baking soda dried my hair out terribly. If you add some baking soda to hot water and soak your brushes, you can watch all the hairspray bubble. Yuk.

By Nutttytart from Doncaster

Filter Sort

By Sarah Leach 10 150 Flag

I've never heard of this, but it makes me really glad that I don't use that stuff!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Barbara Huggins 8 209 Flag

I have found that Dawn is great for removing hair spray. When I overdo the hair spray, I use a little Dawn first, rinse, then use my regular shampoo and conditioner. Works great.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

thr522587 Flag

No offense but what the heck kind of hairspray and how much are you using and how often do you normally shampoo your hair?

I was a hairstylist for thirty years (as were both my parents) and I never saw the kind of build up, that won't go away in over a year, on a clients hair like you're talking about here except for clients who only washed their hair every week or two and overly used strong hold hairspray every single day :-o

Just use a strong non-moisturizing shampoo, scrub well, rinse, condition (don't rinse), start combing with a very fine tooth comb (start from bottom and work up to scalp), keep combing and rinse comb often. Shampoo again, rinse, condition, rinse and style. You may need to do this a few times before all the residue is gone but it should be gone after a week or two.

You need to change your habits and switch to a mild or medium hold hairspray. When it comes to hairspray think the adage 'less is more' and just don't use so much and not more than a time or two a day. You don't need to be a helmet head to have a nice and pretty style ;-) And be sure to wash and style your hair more often, too!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Melba Duffell 4 Flag

As a licensed cosmetologist I recommend baking soda and dawn, in paste form. Every week until all residue is gone then every 3 months for maintenance. If you have naturally oily hair I also recommend tree tea shampoo once a week to control build up, My favorite moisturizing shampoo is Moisture Maniac by BEd head. Avoid buying it at drug stores and such go to a salon and buy it there. I know most walmart salons carry it. You can sometimes get ans liter of shampoo and conditioner for 20.00 cheap you do not have to use as much because it is professional it should be your everyday shampoo to keep your dry from drying out. Lastly I would recommend a light hold hairspray such as Paul Mitchell's work it out.

Another avenue would be to use a good clarifying shampoo Sally's Beauty can help you with that. it is always good to deep clean your hair ever so often to get minerals from hard water out, build up from hair care products.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By DottieNM 4 27 Flag

Everyone's hair is different, but here's my routine. I use hair gel and hair spray every day. I also wash my hair every day, using a mild shampoo for "normal" hair. I use a small amount of shampoo, work it through, then rinse it out. Next, I dissolve a couple of tablespoons of baking soda in a cup of water, pour it over my hair, and work it through. Last, I use another small amount of shampoo, work it through, and rinse well. That gets my hair squeaky-clean.

When I frosted my hair, it felt sort of "strawlike" after this, so I added an extra step of 1 part white vinegar to 4 parts water to achieve that squeaky-clean and "smooth" hair feel (and perhaps return some of the acid-alkaline balance to my hair). I did not rinse this out. After drying, my hair did not smell like vinegar and it was very soft and silky.

Dottie

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Archive: Use Baking Soda to Remove Hairspray from Your Hair

Put about a tablespoon of baking soda in your hand and then add your shampoo. Wash your hair and it will get rid of all the hair spray, gel, etc. that has stayed in your hair. It will come out extremely clean. Then use your conditioner too.

By Ginny

Feedback:

Removing Hairspray Build Up

The best way I've found to remove hairspray build-up is to mix 1/4 cup of baking soda with enough vinegar to make a foamy paste, put it onto dry hair with fingertips and leave on for at least 5 minutes. Then wash and condition as usual.

By Diana Mc. (12/29/2004)

By ThriftyFun

RE: Use Baking Soda to Remove Hairspray from Your Hair

My hairdressor said the best thing to use for hairspray buildup is just plain baking soda with a little water to make a paste. It works great. (12/29/2004)

By Donna J.

RE: Use Baking Soda to keep color from fading

Using baking soda once a week mixed with clarifying shampoo will keep the color from fading, so quickly. I just mix a couple of tablespoons of baking soda with my shampoo. Then, I follow with the conditioner. (08/01/2008)

By E. Weeks

Woman Cleaning Hair
Deep Cleaning Hair
Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips WashingAugust 22, 2009
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
young man using hairspray in front of mirror
Cleaning Hairspray Off Bathroom Surfaces
A woman washing her hair.
Hair Washing Tips and Tricks
Woman Cleaning Hair
Deep Cleaning Hair
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 9, 2016 at 8:40:31 AM on 10.0.1.241 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

AnswersArchives
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings