Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Microwave Heat Bag

I am looking for instructions for making the bags that you can put in the microwave. The ones you use for aches and pains etc. What is inside and how do you clean them when needed?

Thanks,
PICO from ST. PAUL, ALBERTA

Best Answers

These answers have been rated the best for this question.

By ollie (Guest Post)10/06/2006

For a medicinal heat pack for arthritis and rheumatism, dry roast in a clean pan equal amounts of fine diced old root ginger and rock salt till the ginger is golden and dry. Make a thick cotton case large enough to hold the mixture so that when flat the heat pack is 1 inch thick and seal. Make another as a washable case to put over it.
This can be heated in a microwave oven for 1 to 2 minutes to the desirable temperature. Do not over heat as salt can retain high heat and cause burns on fragile skin. Place on affected areas to soothe the pain. Store in dry cupboard when not in use.

By Marinelle Stone12/05/2005

Here's a coincidence! Not 30 minutes ago I finished two hot pads for my Chihuahuas. I used 100% cotton fabric and 100% cotton batting (thin). I cut 6 layers of fabric using a plate for the shape and 2 layers of the batting. Layer 2 fabric, 1 batting, 1 fabric. Sew around the rim of all and leave a 4 inch opening. Turn it inside out so the batting has fabric on each side. This gives you a low temp side with the batting, and a higher temp side with the fabric. I stuffed them with cheap, bulk rice and then sewed the opening shut. Popped them in the microwave for 90 seconds.

A word of warning--a friend put his nylon or polyester socks in the microwave to dry them after he got caught in the rain. They melted and started a fire in the room.

I've been thinking of finding a cotton shirt and sewing on a liner with vertical tubes to fill with rice. I'd have the tubes run around the shoulders and across the back. My bursitis just yells for it. --Stone in OKC

By Cindy [6]12/05/2005

My sister made some of these with a medium weight cotton fabric. She used regular rice and added some essentail oil like peppermint and lavender. They smell great and are very soothing. Then she sewed a little pillowcase for it out of some old upholstery that was pretty. That way, when it gets dirty, you just take off the pillowcase and wash it.

By Becky [1]12/04/2005

I take a terry cloth tea towel. I fold it in half length wise. I then sew it in thirds. I then fill it about half full of field corn in each of the three pockets. I then double stitich around the towel.

I heat in the micowave about 4 miniutes. When it no longer keeps the heat or it gets dirty, throw it in the washer. Lay it out to dry (DON'T) put it in the dryer.

This works great on a knee as it is big enough to lay on the top of the knee and around the sides. Enjoy!

By bunnieknit (Guest Post)12/04/2005

My friend makes hers out of tube socks. Just fill it with rice and sew the top shut. They are great for stiff necks or sore knees and elbows---or anywhere you need some deep heat on a sore muscle. Word of warning, though. Store them in a sealed container especially if you live in a rural area like we do. Mine were on a shelf in my bathroom and a mouse found them!

By Starlight (Guest Post)12/04/2005

I made these out of a warm fleece material and stuffed them with rice last year. You can make them all different shapes and sizes - I made a long one that I heat and put around my neck and another one like a pocket that I can put my cold hands in. These are the greatest!

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Jackie (Guest Post)01/17/2009

I started making the corn bags in Oct and have had lots of fun. I was very interested in one of your feedbacks that said she washes her corn bag then lays it out to dry, I would have thought it would rot.

Also I have been trying to find out about using poly pellets in them wondering if anyone has tried them or not.
Thank you for letting me post as a guest. kniter 1 @ hotmail . co m

By Kathleen Rounds (Guest Post)12/07/2005

Purchase a pair of all cotton men's over-the-calf socks. Stuff one inside the other if you wish (I used only one of them for mine). Using a funnel fill the sock with white rice (not the instant kind). Tie the sock leg into a knot to hold in the rice. The rice is better than any other grain because it retains and attracts moisture thus providing you with moist heat, the best kind, time after time. Remove the rice before laundering the sock. This is almost as good as the hot wet towel treatment you would get at the masseuse.

By Mairmie (Guest Post)12/05/2005

Since you live in Alberta..another suggestion to add is that you use wheat for the filling. Just stuff any fabric; any shape. Sew it up to close it. Make a little washable cover(like a pillowcase..3 sides sewn for easy removable when it gets soiled.

By Dede Payne (Guest Post)12/04/2005

I bought one for around 10. but I could have made it much cheaper. Mine is just a long tube filled with uncooked regular, not minute, rice. I can freeze it or heat in micro so it has a dual purpose. Mine also has little handles on each end made from a real sturdy tupe of fabric, which I use when I wrap around my lower back. I just put a ribbon thru both of the Handle thingies and pull it tight and tie a bow. works great. I think I should make some of these as stocking stuffers my sons and their wives.

By christine summers12/04/2005

Hi
If you go to "Google" and search for How to make rice filled heating pads, or How to make rice filled neck wraps, you will find a lot of sites with instructions & patterns. Have fun!!

By Polli (Guest Post)12/03/2005

uncooked rice or corn kernals (dried). When it gets yicky, throw it out...make another. Don't heat more than 1 and 1/2 or 2 minutes, otherwise will start to burn the fabric, and the inside stuffing