Use Every Bit of Turkey

During Thanksgiving time is the best time to buy turkeys because they are so cheap, about $7-8 (turkey breast alone is sold for that price). I have an extra little freezer in another room and I fill it with turkeys that i have bought (about 10) during the thanksgiving sales. I let them defrost a bit and I chop them up into smaller manageable sizes for uses throughout the year. The bones do not get discarded until I have cooked them in a crock pot for about 8-10 hours making my own inexpensive turkey broth.

With the buying of my own whole turkey, I get lots of cuts of turkey, broth and smaller bits of turkey that I combine into other foods like 1 pot dinners, soups or the filling out of other recipes (because the piece are too small for a meal on their own). I spend a bit more for the turkey sales but i save in the long run throughout the year in buying turkey.

By soyzick from Chinatown, HI

If you ask alot of times the meat dept will cut your turkey in half for you when you buy it.

This is my favorite tip. Have the butcher cut the turkey in half while frozen. Re wrap well and it's a great way to enjoy the bird, and not be eating it for weeks to come. This can be done for a fresh bird too. Remember if it's frozen to begin with don't make a dish with left overs and freeze it.

Leftover Turkey Sandwich
Recipes Using Leftover Turkey
Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsNovember 24, 2008
A carved turkey breast.
Cooking a Turkey Breast in the Microwave
making a turkey breast
Cooking a Perfect Turkey Breast
A cooked turkey breast.
Cooking a Turkey Breast in a Slow Cooker (Crockpot)
Carving a Turkey
Using Your Turkey Bones for Soup