Can Excess Exercise Cause Puppy To Have Diarrhea?

I have a 12 1/2 weeks old chihuahua mix puppy. She just finished getting her shots last week and just a few minutes ago she went to her training pad to poop and had diarrhea.

I read somewhere that excess exercise can sometimes cause that, she was out and about all day with me and then after like four hours of resting I took her out for a walk around my block. She's not used to this so could that maybe be it?

I'm worried because I keep reading all this stuff about Parvo, but she has her shots already so it doesn't make any sense. Can you guys help me?

Ana from Los Angeles, CA

I am no expert, but I have 2 dogs and they too will sometimes have diarrhea if they get more exercise than usual.

I wouls talk to your Vet to see if this could have been a reaction to any vaccinations your pet was given. Also, even though a dog has had the parvo shots, they can still get the disease. Just as with anything else, sometimes the pavo vaccine can be defective. This is what my Vet told me.

Exercise does not cause diarrhea.

Your dog can get diarrhea from eating something that does not agree with him such as even a tiny piece of plant or grass. Some dogs have higher tolerances for seemingly routine things than others.

Vaccines are not 100% effective and they do take some time to become effective after your dog is innoculated. they work by stimulating your dog's immune system to produce antibodies against whatever the vaccine is for so it takes a little time for your dog's system to produce the antibodies.

You also have your dog dressed like a fashion accessory so her being "out and about" with you probably doesn't amount to much exercise for her as she is probably carried more often than not. She needs exercise, discipline and lastly affection just like any other dog or she will have serious behavior problems.

Dog owners need to be very careful where they allow their dogs to sniff and explore unsupervised as there are many irresponsible pet owners who do not vaccinate their dogs and some are horrific slobs who do not even pick up after their dog.

If you walk your dog where an irresponsible slob owner has been it can be fairly easy for your dog to pick up a virus or parasite.

Stress can easily give a dog diarrhea so you need to make sure your dog gets proper training, LOTS of exercise and good socialization so she doesn't stress out on certain trips.

It is not so much the exercise as it is a combination of heat and dehydration. If your puppy is not used to the heat (and it is still very hot in Los Angeles); the heat can upset their digestive tract and cause diarrhea. Also, if your puppy became dehydrated and then gulped down water, sometimes the water does not have time to be absorbed and the excess water causes diarrhea.

If the diarrhea only lasts a short time, that is probably all it is. If it lasts longer, give the puppy a little bit of cottage cheese and then keep it on a bland PLAIN chicken and rice diet for a day or two before you reintroduce regular dog food.

If the diarrhea lasts more than 24 hrs, there is something else wrong and it definately needs a veterinarian.

My Great Dane got diarrhea ONCE and THAT was more than enough.

Exercise is good for dogs, but remember, she has very small legs. You shouldn't make her walk too far and you need to make sure the pavement isn't too hot.

She might have eaten something that doesn't agree with her or she might have parasites (worms). Take a stool sample to the vet. In any case, the vet should be the first place you ask.

If she has had her Parvo shot, you shouldn't have to worry about that at all. She's precious.

I agree. Getting the shots could have upset her. Heat and dehydration too. Excersise right after getting her shots, probably not a good idea.

Is she a teacup chihuahua? Very very cute! I have one that looks just like her. She will be 4yrs old in Dec and weighs only 5 lbs.

I take my dog to the dog park every day and I have noticed that indeed, excess exercise does cause some diarrhea in some dogs. I wouldn't be worried about it unless the dog did NOT have the inoculations!!

Has someone been feeding her table leftovers and too many doggie treats? This might cause the problem, too.

there was a recent voluntary recall of some

pet foods. also ask you vet how much

solid pumpkin to give your doggie to help

his diarrhea.

You two are cuties.

good luck do not be afraid to call your vet

and ask questions my vet always helps me out.

We have a Pomeranian who was a tiny 2 lb. when we brought her home. I took her directly to the vet who told me that since she is a rescue, it is probably that she will have boughts for maybe a year. We were instructed to give her a little canned pumpkin when she started each episode. This has worked well. She hit it right on the head. Gizzy is four years old now and that pesky recurring diarrhea disappeared right on Que at about a year old. She now weights in at a pudgy 6 lbs.

Pets Dogs HealthSeptember 24, 2008
Cat seeing a veterinarian.
Cat With Diarrhea
Sick pug at the vet.
Remedies for a Dog With Diarrhea
doberman puppy
How Much Exercise Does a Puppy Need?
A woman holding her belly.
Remedies for Diarrhea
🎄