Honeylocust Trees Not Budding

On March 14th, I planted two Skyline honeylocust trees in front of my house (along the street on the narrow strip) as part of a Friends of Trees planting day. They were bare root and planted to the proper depth. Other trees on the street and in my yard are starting to bud, but these trees aren't doing much. Will they take longer to leaf? Are they in shock from the transplant? Should I be worried? Thanks for your help and any info you can give me!

By Paularod17 from Vancouver, WA

Great to hear you planted with Friends of Trees! Although many of the most showy flowering trees are budding out in the Pacific Northwest, most of the canopy trees haven't started leafing out yet (look up high at the big trees, not the small ones that are demanding your attention with their bright colors.)

Also, bare root trees are often stored on a cooler to keep them from budding out until after planting - so your tree could be behind other trees because of how the nursery made them think it was winter longer than other trees.

And lastly, Friends of Trees checks on all our trees twice during the first summer to make sure they are doing well - we'll replace them if they don't bud out.

A good winter/spring test to see if a tree is alive is to cut a small scrape in the bark and make sure it's green underneath - just keep it small - you're cutting into the living tissue.

Friends of Trees

I planted honeylocusts several years ago, and they are slow to bud and leaf out. This is in north Texas. Don't be discouraged.

Thanks for the assurances. They did start budding this week. Still a little behind other similar trees in the area, but I'm happy with their progress. I'll post a pic when they are more impressive!

Home and Garden Gardening Trees Tree HealthApril 8, 2009
Closeup of Gray Squirrel
Keeping Squirrels Out of Fruit Trees
Peach pits and fruit on white background.
Growing Peach Trees from Pits
locust blossom
Growing Locust Trees
Up close photo of a Mimosa tree.
Growing Mimosa Trees