Older Dog is Having Health Problems

My 15 yr. old dog she is experiencing extremely fast weight loss, shaking, seizures and now bloody gellatenous stool. What can it be? The vet says she's just old.

Robin from Los Angeles, CA

Shaking in an older dog is a sign of pain. Please be kind and let her/him go so there is no more suffering.

This sounds like your dog maybe suffering from cancer - has the vet done any bloodwork? If her quality of life has greatly diminished I would have to say you need to do right by her and put her to sleep. It is a hard thing to do, to say good bye to a beloved pet but you don't want her to suffer and be in pain.

You don't say how old your dog is, what kind of dog, any meds they might be taking, etc but no decent vet would casually dismiss bloody, gelatinous stools as a normal part of aging.

Get another vet ASAP. There may not be much you can do but you'll never know if you don't try. Good luck. This is a tough time but you have to get that dog to at least one other vet NOW.

You have a lazy vet!! I would run, not walk, to a second opinion. Obviously it's urgent!

I believe it is time to say your good byes to your friend. I often think of when that day will come for our family pet and it is difficult to do. I have been here for friends who have been in the same situation. It is difficult. But it would be more difficult making your pet suffer needlessly. Whether or not you can hold your pet while this is done is your choice. But God and the angels will be waiting for your dog and you know your dog will greet you when YOU arrive.

Please contact a local rescue group and ask them who is a gentle & kind, awake & on the ball vet they can recommend. Rescues handle hundreds of dogs and they can suggest one for you. Those folks are militant about those pooches, trust me!

This new vet can explain what's happening to your old lovey girl and can help you with end of life decisions. Just please hold her and make sure she knows you're there.

We send big bear hugs from our small herd of foster seniors, our youngster pooches, our whole family for you and your lovey girl at this time.

JoAnn, Winston, Suzy, Bettie, Margaret, Evelyn & Family

My little Tara was the same way It would have cost 125.00 -just for the vet to open her door to let us in. I knew my baby was at the end my own wonderful vet was out of town.so I just held her all day and all night . I kept telling her it was ok go to Jesus. She passed in my arms. it was terrible.but she is no longer suffering, but lord I sure am. I am not in good health to be able to get another one .so I carry her memories-along with my other two that passed.

Take her to another vet for a more specific diagnosis/prognosis!

Please, please get another vet's opinion. I didn't and now I regret it. My prayers are with you and your friend.Hold him, love him and let him know how much he means to you as long as you can. If it is his time to go, know that he will be waiting on you at the "Rainbow Bridge".

Go to another vet, it's something.

You need a different vet. If you have any friends with pets, ask them who they take their pets to. It sounds like your dog needs to be seen now.

It is time to find a compassionate knowledgeable vet and have her put to sleep. Too much pain for her to be in. Love her enough to let her go. Report the vets behavior to the BBB. Robyn

It's a tough thing to say--but if you've been taking this dog to this particular vet for a long, long time, there's the occasional vet who has a hard time breaking bad news to an owner, sometimes because the vet is too personally attached to the animal (or you!).

It isn't professional--but vets are human and sometimes they make mistakes.

We went through this (with our former vet) and in retrospect, I think the dog we had then should have been humanely put to sleep a lot sooner than we did--it would have saved him a lot of unnecessary agony.

Please go to another vet. There may be something your vet isn't knowledgeable enough to diagnose; but it also may be time to say goodbye to your poor old gal.

Hugs from here. I know how hard this is.

Pets Dogs HealthFebruary 25, 2009
An old pit bull lab mix.
Homeopathic Remedies for Older Animals
A bulldog eating too fast.
Preventing a Dog From Eating Too Fast
Yahoo Mail
Troubleshooting Problems with Yahoo Mail
Saving Money on Health Insurance, Health Insurance Paperwork
Saving Money on Health Insurance
🎄
🍂