Chicken and Macaroni Salad Help

I need some help to see what I'm forgetting to add to my recipe for chicken salad and macaroni salad. I do the miracle whip, salt and pepper, some relish, sometimes a dab of mustard. (Of course eggs in the mac salad) They always taste like somethings missing. I've even used some lemon pepper and that still didn't do it. Can someone please assist me?

Try some of these: ranch or French dressing, chopped onion, green onions, garlic powder or salt, seasoned salt, onion salt, chopped celery or bell pepper, chip dip, sour cream, chives,chopped parsley

I make my macaroni salad with chopped onion, celery, bell pepper, radishes, carrots, mayo mixed with ranch dressing or mayo mixed with chip dip, seasoned with salt or onion salt, pepper, canned tuna(liquid and all), or chicken or cut up ham,

I usually put eggs only in my potato salad, but will try them in the mac salad.

Well IMHO opinion you shouldn't use miracle whip, but that is just me.

But I do know that my Mom always used roughly these ingredients for macaroni and potato (obviously tweaking diff. things for each) Mayo, some mustard, black olives, salt and pepper, garlic salt, some plain yogurt (always in the house and it lowers the fat and gives it a tang), chopped celery, chopped onion, chopped dill pickles and some vinegar.

I didn't see on your list vinegar, maybe that is what you are missing? Your ingredients all seem sort of sweet (depending on what kind of pickles you use, sweet are in the same category of miracle whip for me) maybe vinegar or even pickle juice from the jar (if it's dill/kosher) for some zing?

Hope that helps.

I always use Hellmans in all of my salads...just seems to give it a better, creamier taste. For chicken salad, I add, green onions, and ONLY dell dixi pickles..diced up, salt, pepper, and of course chicken...it can always depend on your chicken too...I use breast with skin and bones and add onion, celery, and some allspice to the water....hope this helps!!

I always add chopped green onion to my chicken salad, as others have mentioned. I add a little curry powder as well, just gives it a little extra spice. Start with about l/2 a teaspoon and add to your taste.

I some times use Zesty Italian Dressing to taste.This will pep it up.

Hello,

What you are missing is half salad dressing, half miracle whip, lawrys seasoning salt, finely chopped onion, carrots, celery and hard-boiled eggs. Give it a little mustard for color. This will be your base for potato or macaroni salad. For chicken salad, use miracle whip, pepper, garlic powder and celery. Amy

I add a little dried dill weed to just about any salad made with dressing. The suggestions already submitted are really good.

Try adding some very finely chopped green onions and the tops(chives) that might help it. Good luck

dont forget to put some sugar in your salads

i always use equal portions of sugar and vinegar than add miracle whip and mustard to taste for potatoe and macoroni salad

Try adding an onion.

I mix salad dressing & sourcream together, plus add plain yogurt if I have it. I find if any of the pasta salads (and or deviled eggs) I make just don't do it for me I add a glob of ranch dressing. I also always try to use 2 different kind of onions, a small amt of sweet onion and a few green onions.

What is misssing is sugar.

Instead of using mayonaise, use salad dressing.

There is a huge difference in taste, especially in salads.

Try making your next salad with salad dressing, regular or light, you'll taste the difference.

I too use Mayo, but the Fat Free kind. I then add Splenda to sweeten the Mayo. It's less calories than Salad Dressing. I use this for deviled eggs, potato salad, macaroni salad, egg salad.

Paprika : )

The taste of Miracle Whip type dressings has changed over the years til they are Much Closer to Mayo which we don't like .Vinegar has changed too . Perhaps it is the apples which have had most of the flavor bred out of them in favor of survival during shipping .

Also the addition of high fructose corn syrup the dressings & pickles have had an effect .

They just don't taste as good as they used to .

Anyhoo, we always add pimiento stuffed green salad olives to these salads .& sprinkle Paprika on top .

What is Missing is the Old Time Taste .

celery seed or dill???

I use mayo, mustard, celery (with a few of the baby leaf tops for color), bell pepper, onion (all chopped fine), hard-boiled eggs, sweet pickle relish, walnuts (chopped), green olives, salt, pepper, curry to taste. I use the same ingredients for tuna, pasta, potato, chicken salads. Leave it in refrigerator overnight so the flavors can mingle...Enjoy!

Try vinegar. I use apple cider vinegar - about 1 Tbsp. for every 2 heaping Tbsp of mayo. Start with less and add to flavor.

I see you are from Indiana--Marsh has a really good chicken salad with pieces of grape and apples I think for sweetness, also you need tiny pieces of celery for crunch. If you don't like onions, that's okay. I don't either, and with all the suggestions posted, you can experiment a lot. -kim

there's a good website called allrecipes.com.. This site has thousands of recipes. Also, the site scales your recipe to how many people you need to feed. And a take along grocery list (printable) from the site is provided. And the site provides a place to design a file to store your favorite recipes. When my daughter graduated last year, I found this a very helpful site.

I add Dillweed to many of my salad-dressing recipes. I feel it gives it a "fresh" flavor!

Amy, try adding celery and a apple to your chicken salad, and some celery seed is good too. Hope it works for you.

Chopped onion and chopped celery is missing in you salad...

IMHO it's onion and sugar you're missing. try it and see if that makes the difference.

For a piquant addition, try adding small slivers of not very ripe pear or green apple. There is a local restaurant that does this and it's chicken..., macaroni salads... are a non-stop hit.

Lots of good ideas!! One thing I would say from my years of experience is "Don't use store brands for mayo or Miracle Whip ".For my maccaroni salad I add some frozen petite peas(uncooked),chopped onion and celery. I also cut up small cubes of cheddar cheese and cubed ham.

If you use vinegar, use it sparelingly and be sure itis apple cider vinegar!! Judy frim Alabama

celery, onion, ceddar cheese in both, ranch dressing, dried basil and oregeno, instead of regular salt use a pinch of garlic salt, red pepper. I make salads all of the time in the summer for my kids, never the same way twice-just depends on what is in the frig. I always add ranch dressing with the mayo.

Grapes to your chicken salad red firm grapes cut in half will make your chicken salad a hit so will almonds!

Macaroni Salad
Macaroni Salad Tips
Food and Recipes Food Tips AdviceMay 8, 2007
Macaroni Salad With Chopped Peppers on Top
Macaroni Salad Recipes
Chicken Macaroni Salad
Chicken Macaroni Casserole Recipes
Chicken a la King in puff pastry shell
Chicken A' La King Recipes
Cute Little Girl in Chicken Costume
Making a Chicken Costume
🎄