Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Using Evaporated Milk

I was given several cans of evaporated milk and powdered milk, but I don't know how to use them in everyday cooking. Any ideas?

Tanna from Claremont, NH

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By susan cantin [5]04/08/2009

I use powdered skim milk for ALL my baking, whether it's bread, muffins or cakes. I add extra to up the calcium and protein content. Use 1/3 cup of powdered milk for each cup and replace the milk in your recipe with water or fruit juice. You can either mix the milk powder with your liquids or simply add it to your dry ingredients. Savoury breads are great if you use tomato juice.

By judy [15]11/09/2008

This is an awesome recipe for pancakes "skinnies" using evaporated milk. I found this recipe and tried it out and my kids were sold on it. I now do not make any other kind pancakes. Every one of my kid's friends that have tried them also think they are the best.

Three eggs
1/4 cup sugar
Two cups flour
One teaspoon salt

Mix these four ingredients well (it will be stiff). The reason for mixing these first is it won't be lumpy. If you put the liquid first and then add the dry ingredients it will turn out lumpy.

Then add to the stiff batter:
1/4 c oil (or melted butter)
One 12 oz. can evaporated milk
One can of water (use evap milk can)

Mix everything together . It will be very liquidy. They make a super thin pancake and may bubble up when you fry them.

Enjoy!

By Kerry (Guest Post)11/07/2008

I always use evaporated milk in place of half and half in my clam chowder recipe because of the cost savings. I will make up the difference between the amount needed with reconstituted powdered milk for even more savings.

By Sheila Saey [8]11/07/2008

I only use evaporated milk when I make gravy! Why use "drinking milk" at $4.00 per gallon when 1 can at maybe .50 will make a big pan of gravy (like after frying chicken or pork chops).

I also use evaporated milk when I make potato soup. Here's my recipe:

6-8 peeled potatoes (cut into bite-sized chunks)
1 onion (peeled and diced)
1 stalk celery (diced...I use celery salt cuz I don't like celery)
2 or 3 tablespoons butter or margarine

Place all ingredients in pan and cover with water. Boil till potatoes are "fork tender" (you can easily stick a fork in them). DO NOT DRAIN WATER!! Add 1 or 2 cans of evaporated milk. Serve.

God Bless,
Sheila in Decatur, IL

By Lelia Jo Cordell [49]11/06/2008

Friends who don't use theirs often give me several cans of evaporated milk at a time. Since I don't bake much, I use it as creamer for my coffee. It's a little richer straight out of the can than whole milk, and saves the whole milk for my oinker hubby - he could almost drink a gallon a day by himself! As for powdered, I'd use it as creamer as well, and hubby will enrich 2% or 1% milk. He'll also mix some and use it with chocolate syrup for homemade chocolate milk.
Hope these ideas help. God bless!

By Anna [1]11/05/2008

First thing that comes to my mind this time of year is pumpkin pie, takes one 14oz can, two cups pumpkin, 3 eggs or eggs whites, 1/2 cup sugar, tsp pumpkin spice, mix it altogether throw in a pie shell, or sprayed pie plate, baked for 15 mins. at 400, then turn oven down to 350 for 35 to 45 minutes, till set, chill and enjoy!

By Cyinda [214]11/05/2008

Both powered & evaporated milk can be used in anything you'd use regular fresh milk in. You can also add powered milk to any recipe or to regular milk as a way to get extra calcium & protein. Smoothies made either of these types of milk are very tasty. Just add any fruit or berries & several ice cubes. To sweeten your smoothie add frozen concentrated fruit juice instead of sugar! Another way to sweeten your smoothie is to add extra milk power to it because the milk sugar will sweeten the smoothie. The more powered milk you add, the sweeter the smoothie. I've made tapioca pudding with hardly any sugar because I've added extra milk power to sweeten it. It's not only sweet & tasty, but because of the extra milk power, the pudding has extra calcium too!

---> My mother-in-law was a very thrift sort & made a less expensive but tasty milk for her large family by making up 2 quarts of powered milk & mixing this with 2 quarts of whole milk then poring these together into a gallon milk jug. These 2 types of milk mixed together would make 2% milk... The trick is to make sure you mix the powered milk up very well so there's no pieces of power or lumps left. It's best to make up the powered milk first in the gallon jug so you can shake it first before adding the whole milk. When served ice cold from the fridge you can't tell the difference between this & store bought 2%.

*You can't beat having powered & canned evaporated milk around for emergencies when the power goes out!

By (Guest Post)11/05/2008

Just reconstitute the way it says on the can [add specified amt of water] and use to make pudding or also excellent for using in macaroni and cheese. cathy from ma

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Using Evaporated Milk

I see that my local grocery store has a sale on evaporated milk. How do I use that? Do I have to dilute it or can I use it straight out of the can? I don't plan on using it for drinking, just for cooking.
Do the same rules apply for condensed milk? Thanks for all of your help.

Melissa from Arizona

RE: Using Evaporated Milk

I use it to make super creamy mashed potatoes in place of milk. You mix 1/2 c. evaporated milk to 1/2 c. water for equal 1 c. regular milk. I hope this helps. (08/05/2008)

By mrsbutler2000

RE: Using Evaporated Milk

You can use evaporated milk in recipes that call for regular milk. It gives them a creamier taste. (08/05/2008)

By Sandie

RE: Using Evaporated Milk

Evaporated milk and Condensed Milk are two different things. If a recipe calls for evaporated, you can not substitute condensed. Evaporated Milk is what older folks called "canned cream." They used it in coffee, because it tasted much better than plain milk. We didn't have all the Creamers, powdered, flavored, and liquids as we do now. It can be re-constituted by using the same amount of water. Most usually, folks filled the empty can with water, poured it into the container that held the evaporated milk. It makes very creamy mashed potatoes, puddings, and the like.

It was also used to make baby formula, before there was powdered, liquid, or pre-filled bottles of formula. I can't remember what the recipe was, but it used white cane syrup, evaporated milk, water, and maybe something else. You filled the bottles,added the nipples, and lids, put them into the sterilizer and cooked them on the stove for a specified amount of time. Then refrigerated them. It was hard having to do this nearly every day. Then you had to warm the bottles in a pan of water on the stove, until it reached the desired temperature.

The Condensed milk already has sugar in it. It has been "cooked" or heated to a certain temperature before putting it in the can. It is used for rich and creamy desserts. Lemon pie filling is one of the most used recipe. It is used to make those refrigerated but not baked cheese-cake type fillings. When it was a new item, there were lots of recipes for Ice-Box pies, or desserts. Hope this helps. (08/05/2008)

By Barb in Tennessee

RE: Using Evaporated Milk

Use evaporated milk as a substitute for milk in about any recipe. It makes great creamed potatoes and cake icing. Here is my favorite cake icing:
  • 1 sm can (or less) evaporated milk
  • 1 box powdered sugar
  • 1 stick butter
  • 1 teas vanilla

Beat butter. Add sugar and milk. Add vanilla.

This icing always get raves. (08/05/2008)

By Blondie50

RE: Using Evaporated Milk

I use both evaporated milk and condensed milk straight from the can without diluting, according to the recipe that has evaporated or condensed milk in it. I also sometimes use evaporated milk (without diluting) in place of regular milk in other recipes, like soup and mashed potatoes. (08/05/2008)

By bluealt

RE: Using Evaporated Milk

Generally you mix can of evaporated milk with enough water to make a quart of milk that can be used in recipes just like you would milk. Makes great instant pudding. (08/05/2008)

By Cher

RE: Using Evaporated Milk

Evaporated milk is a very economical choice (if you find a sale - GRAB IT). I've always used it for cooking whenever a recipe called for milk. Dilute it equal parts with water, or if it only calls for a little, you can use it straight from the can. It seems to add an extra creamy texture and flavor. The added plus is that you can keep it in you pantry until you need milk, and not have to worry about a short exp. date. I also love it in my coffee. Unfortunately the price has sky rocketed for canned milk along with everything else! Now I've resorted to powdered, which is a little more work, but still cheaper in the long run. (08/05/2008)

By doodles

RE: Using Evaporated Milk

Evaporated milk is exactly what its name implies. It is milk with some of the water evaporated out of it. You can get it in regular or 2%. If you want to use it like regular whole milk, you can dilute it. If you want to substitute for cream, use straight from the can. Evaporated milk has the consistency of whipping cream, and can be whipped, if you like the flavor, which I personally don't. It is good in baking or in casseroles.

Sweetened condensed milk has sugar added, and far more of the water removed. (08/05/2008)

By louel53

RE: Using Evaporated Milk

Yes, you can use it in cooking just like regular milk. Using it straight from the can without diluting it at all will give you a very nice creaminess to your dishes. One thing I love to use it for is when making an Alfredo dish. I use jarred Alfredo sauce, dump the sauce into the recipe, then put about half of the evapoated milk into the Alfredo jar, cap it, and shake it really well to get out the last of the sauce. Repeat with remaining evaporated milk. Stretches the sauce beautifully, and gives a wonderful creaminess without being too heavy.

Regular condensed milk is the same as evaporated milk. Do not confuse condensed milk with sweetened condensed milk. They are NOT interchangeable. Sweetened condensed milk is very thick and is usually used in making desserts or candy. (08/05/2008)

By