Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Fall Flowers in North Texas

Q: I live in North Texas and want to plant some flowers in some pots, but I have no idea what to plant or where to look for ideas. I want some flowers that will last through the winter and still be blooming in the spring. Is that even a possibility here?

Thanks,
Sandra

A: Sandra,

There are plenty of "winter" bloom options for you in North Texas. Chrysanthemums, marigolds, mums and pansies are a few that immediately to mind. You might also consider flowering houseplants. With these, often times you can take your choice of flowering seasons. Keep some that bloom in the fall (Aphelandra or Oleander) some in the winter (Kalanchoe or Pink Jasmine) some in the spring (Spathiphyllum or Anthurium) some in the summer (Hibiscus or Campanula) and have bright color all year long. To look for ideas on which flowers bloom over winter in north Texas, I would suggest starting by talking with you local nursery or garden center and exploring the Texas A&M horticulture web pages:

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/tamuhort.html

This is an excellent web resource for all types of gardening information specific to north Texas.

By

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By (Guest Post)08/15/2005

Ask at your local nursery-they'll be glad to give you advice!

By jan08/15/2005

I lived in Wichita Falls and pansies and kale were planted in the fall. They were planted everywhere and seemed to survive quite well. They wilted a little in very cold weather but revived when it warmedup a little. They were available in all the stores.