Dyeing a Bathroom Rug

I have a large bright yellow bathroom rug that I'd like to dye, but don't know how to go about it. It does not have a rubber backing. Can I dye it in the washing machine? I'd like to dye it either red or black, but I'm afraid black would turn out grey and I don't know what red would look like. Any suggestions?

By Betty

Hi! I used to want to dye items like curtains, etc.etc.etc. The only problem with that is that the color fades each time you wash it. I dyed white blankets blue, which were very pretty but after a time they were almost back to white.

If you dye your rug red you would probably end up with an orange color before or even after washing.

If you want to dye something you can do it in the washing machine. Must have very hot water!

Good luck!

If it comes out the color you want, when rinsing, use about a cup of salt to set the color.

Before you dye your rug, you need to know what the rug is made out of. Cotton will take a dye quite nicely however anything synthetic may not. Many rugs made for bathroom use are not made with materials that will take a dye so that they are stain resistant. The other thing to consider is after dying the rug, be sure to rinse (and rinse, and rinse, and rinse) all the excess dye out of it otherwise the color will transfer to the floor underneath (the minor amount of moisture in the air of the bathroom will cause the dye to wick to the floor tile).

I have re-dyed a small bathroom rug by putting fabric paint and water into a spray bottle and spraying the rug. I would guess that you might need to use white dye first to tone down the yellow. Let dry, and then attempt the color you want for the finished tone. I laid my rug outside on the grass or on a drop cloth. I diluted the fabric paint with water, it did not change the color, but allowed it to go through the spray-head on my sprayer. I let it dry in the sun. I ran the rug through a very warm dryer to set the color. I was happy with my results. I resprayed my rug when I had fading with the same color/water solution. I hope this helps you.

A load of red dyed clothing in a front loader washing machine.
Dyeing Clothing in the Washing Machine
Home and Garden Home Improvement DecoratingJuly 19, 2010
Dyeing Bath Towels
Dyeing Bath Towels
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet, Plumber Replacing Bathroom Faucet
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet
ornamental rug
Removing Rug Dye from Carpet