Dog has Dry, Crusty Skin Patches

My miniature schnauzer has dry, crusty patches on her skin on her back and stomach. She has been treated for a bacterial infection for 4 weeks. She has been off the meds for 2 weeks and they are coming back. Does anyone know why this is happening?

Kathy from Tarpon Springs, FL

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

My dog has had a similar problem with her skin getting better then worse. She was also checked and treated for a fungal infection (such as ringworm). If you vet hasn't checked for fungal causes you might want to ask for an evaluation for fungal causes. We still do not have answers and are taking our dog to a vet dermatologist for evaluation. Her problem is on her back and head.

For some time I raised Dalmatians, they were fed dry dog food and when the dryness occurred I put xtra bacon grease on the dry food. That seemed to clear it up.

BJ

Take her back to the vet.

I had good results with an item from Drs Foster & Smith. It is a softgel supplement with fish oil etc. Had a border collie with terrible sores on his back and an awful odor. Cleared it up and his coat just shined!

That sounds like Hot Spots. My German Shepherd had it. I used Tree Oil just rubbon it with some cotton balls. In my dog, the food was causing it. I changed to one that had no corn at all. The vet told me this is Allergy caused from a variety of things from flea bites to food. Good luck

Hi. Our 6- year old shepard/retriever mix has developed dry, flaky, crusty patches of skin on his lower body. They are not itchy, but are thick and come off taking patches of fur with it. So he now has a few bald spots. The vet took a blood test to check for thyroid problems and ringworm test, both negative. Anyone heard of this?

Take the dog to the vet, but in the meantime, always use NEEM dog shampoo on your dog. You can get it at the health food store, online, etc. It works wonders for any skin problems they have, even mange. I heard of it on this site and I don't use anything else on my dogs.

Before going to the vet, maybe take the dog to a groomer and ask what they think it might be. If your dog goes to one they might be able to answer. They work with dogs all day. Mine told me what to do for my dogs ears and his hot spots. I used a women's vinegar and water douche. Cleared him up. Just pour some on a cotton ball and put on spot. Or wash the pet and pour a solution over him just before towel drying. My sister-in-laws dog had ring worm and mange and used this.

2 cups (16 oz.) hydrogen peroxide 3%

4 cups (32 oz.) water

8 tablespoons or so of Borax powder

Combine them all in a bucket and stir it up until the Borax is completely dissolved. I use pretty warm, even hot water so that it is still warm after adding the room temperature peroxide and mixing it for a while. Pour it over the dog into the washtub with the plug in the drain, and then use an old washcloth to soak him all over with the solution in the washtub (I make sure the red areas are real soaked with it).

Don't rinse it off. It would probably be okay to towel dry a little, maybe blow dry first if you can. As long as the solution stays on the skin so it can keep working. Use old towels and maybe wear an old shirt so the peroxide won't take the color out. I did this every couple of days at first until he started clearing up, and I'm going to keep doing it every couple weeks in hopes that it won't come back!

It's very easy and so cheap! Hopefully it will help.

I am having same problem with 2 out of three dogs I have. I have been to vet 2 times for this same problem, dry scaly skin with patches of spots, on the lower back and the sides too. they sent me home with prednisone and a antibiotic and told me to give her a bath 3 times in one week for a month and on top of all that a $300.00 dollar vet bill, been 6 months now still has spots and crusty flakiness skin. I have asked around different people say, "could be caused by the kind of food they eat. Could be caused by worms, all it takes is one fly for them to eat, will give them worms, could be allergies.

Right now as of last weekend I have changed dog food, has no corn in it, only thing is high in protein, gotta watch there weight, don't give same amount like u did regular food. I also got a 3 day package of De worming for three different kinds of worms. for got name of them, but anyways with the change of dog food and doing the de-worming, and giving them oatmeal shampoo baths, the spots should go away.

I read here on this page a lil oil is good to rub on spots. also I was told green tea is good for skin. Use it like a rinse on the dogs. You boils tea bags like you would to have a cup of tea but make a pitcher size, then let it cool down and poor it on dogs skin. Use like it like a rinse. Don't use water afterwards just the tea by it's self. Also read something about vinegar I want to try later if this doesn't work with De worming and change of dog food, and also the oatmeal bath. Hope some of this information is helpful to u all. Would like to hear any more suggestions people might have to try on these dry skin spots and what might be the cause of it.

Everyone seems to say their dog has hot spots! Totally different than dry skin. Hot spots are raised with fluid and are actually warmer to the touch than the rest of the dogs skin. Check out what hot spots actually look like online.

See your vet because there are many other dog skin disorders. My groomer told me my dog had hot spots which I knew he didnt. My dog had a yeast infection inside his body that caused dry itchy spots that would cause the fur around the dry spot to fall out. Dont take advice from anyone else but your vet or someone who owns a dog that had the exact same issue and they can see your dogs rash or dry skin.

See your vet because there are many other dog skin disorders. My groomer told me my dog had hot spots which I knew he didnt. My dog had a yeast infection inside his body that caused dry itchy spots that would cause the fur around the dry spot to fall out. Dont take advice from anyone else but your vet or someone who owns a dog that had the same issue and can identify that your dog has the exact thing. Your dog may be suffering in silence.

Answer

Pets Dogs HealthDecember 9, 2008
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
A patch of brown in the middle of a green lawn.
Preventing Brown Patches in Lawn
stitched flowers on jeans patch
Making Iron-On Patches
American Flag on White Taekwondo Uniform
Sewing Patches on Clothing
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 8, 2016 at 11:32:41 PM on 10.0.1.18 in 538 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.