Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Dog has Dry, Crusty Skin Patches

My miniature schnauzer has dry, crusty patches on her skin on her back and stomach. She has been treated for a bacterial infection for 4 weeks. She has been off the meds for 2 weeks and they are coming back. Does anyone know why this is happening?

Kathy from Tarpon Springs, FL

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

01/25/2009

Before going to the vet, maybe take the dog to a groomer and ask what they think it might be. If your dog goes to one they might be able to answer. They work with dogs all day. Mine told me what to do for my dogs ears and his hot spots. I used a women's vinegar and water douche. Cleared him up. Just pour some on a cotton ball and put on spot. Or wash the pet and pour a solution over him just before towel drying. My sister-in-laws dog had ring worm and mange and used this.

2 cups (16 oz.) hydrogen peroxide 3%
4 cups (32 oz.) water
8 tablespoons or so of Borax powder

Combine them all in a bucket and stir it up until the Borax is completely dissolved. I use pretty warm, even hot water so that it is still warm after adding the room temperature peroxide and mixing it for a while. Pour it over the dog into the washtub with the plug in the drain, and then use an old washcloth to soak him all over with the solution in the washtub (I make sure the red areas are real soaked with it).

Don't rinse it off. It would probably be okay to towel dry a little, maybe blow dry first if you can. As long as the solution stays on the skin so it can keep working. Use old towels and maybe wear an old shirt so the peroxide won't take the color out. I did this every couple of days at first until he started clearing up, and I'm going to keep doing it every couple weeks in hopes that it won't come back!

It's very easy and so cheap! Hopefully it will help.

By Nan Corpe [6]01/25/2009

Take the dog to the vet, but in the meantime, always use NEEM dog shampoo on your dog. You can get it at the health food store, online, etc. It works wonders for any skin problems they have, even mange. I heard of it on this site and I don't use anything else on my dogs.

By Jake's Mom (Guest Post)12/20/2008

Hi. Our 6- year old shepard/retriever mix has developed dry, flaky, crusty patches of skin on his lower body. They are not itchy, but are thick and come off taking patches of fur with it. So he now has a few bald spots. The vet took a blood test to check for thyroid problems and ringworm test, both negative. Anyone heard of this?

By Maria (Guest Post)12/13/2008

That sounds like Hot Spots. My German Shepherd had it. I used Tree Oil just rubbon it with some cotton balls. In my dog, the food was causing it. I changed to one that had no corn at all. The vet told me this is Allergy caused from a variety of things from flea bites to food. Good luck

By Mary C. (Guest Post)12/12/2008

I had good results with an item from Drs Foster & Smith. It is a softgel supplement with fish oil etc. Had a border collie with terrible sores on his back and an awful odor. Cleared it up and his coat just shined!

By Maryeileen [76]12/11/2008

Take her back to the vet.

By BJ (Guest Post)12/09/2008

For some time I raised Dalmatians, they were fed dry dog food and when the dryness occurred I put xtra bacon grease on the dry food. That seemed to clear it up.
BJ

By Betty Keith12/09/2008

My dog has had a similar problem with her skin getting better then worse. She was also checked and treated for a fungal infection (such as ringworm). If you vet hasn't checked for fungal causes you might want to ask for an evaluation for fungal causes. We still do not have answers and are taking our dog to a vet dermatologist for evaluation. Her problem is on her back and head.