Treating Crusty Patches on Dog's Skin

Category Health
Dog biting at his skin
This is a guide about dog has dry, crusty skin patches. You want to find a safe and effective treatment for your dog's skin problems.

My miniature schnauzer has dry, crusty patches on her skin on her back and stomach. She has been treated for a bacterial infection for 4 weeks. She has been off the meds for 2 weeks and they are coming back. Does anyone know why this is happening?

Kathy from Tarpon Springs, FL

Answer Was this helpful? 3

Answers

Best Answer

My dog has had a similar problem with her skin getting better then worse. She was also checked and treated for a fungal infection (such as ringworm). If you vet hasn't checked for fungal causes you might want to ask for an evaluation for fungal causes. We still do not have answers and are taking our dog to a vet dermatologist for evaluation. Her problem is on her back and head.

Best Answer

I had good results with an item from Drs Foster & Smith. It is a softgel supplement with fish oil etc. Had a border collie with terrible sores on his back and an awful odor. Cleared it up and his coat just shined!

Anonymous
Best Answer

Before going to the vet, maybe take the dog to a groomer and ask what they think it might be. If your dog goes to one they might be able to answer. They work with dogs all day. Mine told me what to do for my dogs ears and his hot spots. I used a women's vinegar and water douche. Cleared him up. Just pour some on a cotton ball and put on spot. Or wash the pet and pour a solution over him just before towel drying. My sister-in-laws dog had ring worm and mange and used this.

2 cups (16 oz.) hydrogen peroxide 3%

4 cups (32 oz.) water

8 tablespoons or so of Borax powder

Combine them all in a bucket and stir it up until the Borax is completely dissolved. I use pretty warm, even hot water so that it is still warm after adding the room temperature peroxide and mixing it for a while. Pour it over the dog into the washtub with the plug in the drain, and then use an old washcloth to soak him all over with the solution in the washtub (I make sure the red areas are real soaked with it).

Don't rinse it off. It would probably be okay to towel dry a little, maybe blow dry first if you can. As long as the solution stays on the skin so it can keep working. Use old towels and maybe wear an old shirt so the peroxide won't take the color out. I did this every couple of days at first until he started clearing up, and I'm going to keep doing it every couple weeks in hopes that it won't come back!

It's very easy and so cheap! Hopefully it will help.

Best Answer

Everyone seems to say their dog has hot spots! Totally different than dry skin. Hot spots are raised with fluid and are actually warmer to the touch than the rest of the dogs skin. Check out what hot spots actually look like online.

See your vet because there are many other dog skin disorders. My groomer told me my dog had hot spots which I knew he didnt. My dog had a yeast infection inside his body that caused dry itchy spots that would cause the fur around the dry spot to fall out. Dont take advice from anyone else but your vet or someone who owns a dog that had the exact same issue and they can see your dogs rash or dry skin.

Anonymous
Best Answer

Exactly. It's not hot spots. My schnauzer has it on her side on each side of her front shoulder. And it's not just a little dandruff it's big flakes of dry skin and it feels rough. It is NOT hot spots

My Labrador has yellowish crusty spots that peel off leaving a hairless reddish region. They are mainly located on the her feet and ankles, the places where she rests her body. What could this be? What is the treatment?

Answers

Best Answer

Please take your dog to your vet as she obviously has a difficult skin infection, etc. Any delay in treatment will just make the problem worse and more expensive to treat.