Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Shelf Life Of Imitation Crab Meat

I am 8 1/2 months pregnant and I love the imitation crab meat. I purchased frozen crab meat a while back and thawed it (kept in the refrigerator). So now it's been about a week since I ate the thawed imitation crab meat from the refrigerator but I'm getting worried now that I shouldn't have eaten it. What is the shelf life of the imitation crab sticks once thawed and left in the refrigerator? Anxiously awaiting your response.

Nadia from Ontario, Canada

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Nadia [1]05/21/2008

Thank-you all - sound advise always appreciated:)

At this point, I've felt perfectly fine so don't think I ingested any "poison"...in future I won't keep any fish type product in the fridge more than 2/3 days.

By Noella [9]05/20/2008

I don't know about highly-salted fish, but fresh fish should never be kept past the third day!

By Syd (Guest Post)05/20/2008

Call the manufacturer on the 800# on the package. The best information will come from them. Have the package wrap when you call them, if possible; if not get info from another package at the grocery store.

They will also, most likely send you a cents off coupon.

By ChloeA [10]05/20/2008

I agree with Glenn'sMom. In addition, the imitation crabmeat is actually made from a VERY highly salted fish-based product--it's not shellfish at all. The salt will act as a preservative. I'm not sure how long I've kept it around in the fridge, but I think quite a while sometimes. You would know by smell and taste if it was spoiled.

By Judi [17]05/20/2008

I don't know about shelf dates or times for crab meat but I do know a bit about eating bad foods and I feel very conifident in saying if you were going to have a problem you would have already had it. You can always call your dr.

By Marjorie C. Woodworth [82]05/20/2008

When in doubt, throw it out!