Freeze Cabbage Before Cooking

I have found a way to reduce the amount of cabbage smell that emanates in a kitchen when it's cooking! Want to know the secret? Freeze it! Cut up your freshly bought cabbage, wash it, pat it dry with kitchen paper and portion it into ziploc bags -press out the air and seal. Then pop in your freezer.

When you come to cook it; it takes about 1-2 minutes in a pan of boiling water OR alternatively stir-fry it in a little olive oil which I like to do. Delicious and saves on the cooking time.

And, quite by accident, I found there's no lingering cabbage smell in the kitchen so now I get to eat cabbage more often in my diet and we all know it's very good for you!

Source: I found this out myself!

By Monique from Somerset, UK

That's really helpful my partner complains about the smell everytime I cook cabbage!

Can the cabbage be used for coleslaw after it is frozen? This is a great idea. I put a bowl of lemon juice on the stove and that greatly reduces the smell also. Thanks for the tip! God bless.

<b>Editor's Note</b> I think the cabbage would have a different consistency, and not make the best coleslaw.

HEY MONIQUE, TRY THIS ONE. AFTER YOU TAKE YOUR CABBAGE OUT OF THE FREEZER, WHICH IS A HECK OF AN IDEA BY THE WAY, CHOP UP SOME ONION AND SOME BACON, DROP IT INTO A PAN WITH A LITTLE BIT OF OIL. SAUTE THAT FOR A SHORT TIME AND THEN DUMP YOUR CABBAGE IN ON TOP OF IT. SALT, PEPPER AND GARLIC POWDER TASTES FANTASTIC ON THIS. MIX IT ALL UP AND KIND OF FRY IT FOR AWHILE,AFTER YOU'VE DONE THIS FOR A FEW MINUTES, PUT A TIGHT FITTING LID ON IT. COOK IT ON LOW TO MED. LOW AND REMOVE LID EVER SO OFTEN AND STIR IT AROUND GOING ALL THE WAY TO THE BOTTOM TO GET ANYTHING OFF THAT MIGHT BE GETTING TOO BROWN. THIS IS NOT A HEALTHY RECIPE, BUT UUUUMMMMMM IT'S SO GOOD!!!! {TO QUOTE MR. FOOD!!!} CindyM56

I just need to know how long cabbage will keep in the freezer.

Another thing that works to reduce the odor of cooking cabbage is to throw in a few whole almonds WITH their shells on. I have no idea why it works, but those almonds cooking in the cabbage really reduce the smell. I have been doing this for years and it certainly works. Remember to fish those almonds out before serving the cabbage or you will be breaking your teeth! I also use the almonds when I cook cauliflower and broccoli.

How do I freeze cabbage before cooking?

Cooking Cabbage
Food and Recipes Food Tips Cooking TipsApril 7, 2008
Storing Cabbage
Storing Cabbage
Growing Cabbage, Selecting Good Broccoli, Freezing Cabbage
Freezing Cabbage
butterfly of an imported cabbage worm
Garden Insects: Imported Cabbage Worms
Bok choy growing in a field.
Growing Chinese Cabbage
🎉
🎄