AdviceBudget & Finance

Losing a Money Order

My friend has closed her checking account and she uses money orders to pay her bills. She hates waiting to see of a check/debit has cleared. If you buy a money order from the post office and lose it, is it easy to track? Will the post office reimburse you promptly?

Onesummer

I'm pretty sure that USPS will issue a refund just as long as the person doesn't lose the recipt showing that a money order was purchased.

It's best to call the post office for details on USPS money orders.

It was my experience of waiting 30 days to make sure it doesnt turn up. In the mean time if your paying a bill you would need to pay that bill again so it isnt late. I believe the only way to get immediat refund

is you get cashier checks.. but they also cost more, $3 where I live.

I bought mine at WAl Mart .25 cents each still don't know where it went but cost 12.00 to have it traced and they will take the 12.00 out and send you the balance due. Make sure you keep your stub you have to have the numbers on it to file a claim.

I think the most sensible thing to do is have your friend ask the post office what their policy is on lost money orders.

You will have to pay about $3.00 for a search/inquiry on a postal money order. YOU WILL HAVE TO WAIT 60 DAYS FOR A REFUND IF THE SEARCH INDICATES REASON FOR IT. It's really the safest money order issued. Just , like all government agencies, takes so long and keeps your money tied up. Good luck. postal employee for 15 yrs