Poem For The Adopted Child

I was adopted, but my folks never told me. I found out by accident, but I never discussed it with my parents before they died. It did not upset me (after the initial shock), but I often wonder. My father has been dead since 1972. I was going through some of his papers the other day and found this short poem which he had carried in his wallet. I wanted to share it, particularly with anyone who was adopted.

The Answer (to an adopted child)
by Fleur Conkling Heyliger

Not flesh of my flesh,
Nor bone of my bone,
But still miraculously
My own.
Never forget
For a single minute;
You didn't grow under my heart,
But in it.

Source: It may have been a Tampa or St. Petersburg newpaper in 1972 or earlier.

By clynnaltemus from Inglis FL

Dear Clynnaltemus, This is beautiful; thank you for sharing this with us.

Sincerely, Janet

My mother gave me that poem framed. Both our children are adopted from Russia.

This would also be nice for someone who is a step parent.

I, too, found out by accident. At the age of 16 to be told "All you need to know is she didn't want you and I took you" is not a resolution. A friends mom took me in and gave me this poem. I have given it to many others. In my work as a pediatric nurse I often encounter adopted children. One of my friends was also adopted but he knew from the very beginning. He got teased a lot but effectively ended the harrassing when he looked at one of the boys picking on him and said, "Yah, I'm adopted, that makes me special - my mom went to the orphanage and picked me out - your mom had to take what the doctor gave her." Pretty good for an 8 year old - but it stopped the abuse.

Better Living InspirationalDecember 29, 2009
Childs Car Seat
Decorating a Child's Car Seat
Parenting an Autistic Child, Diamond shaped traffic sign warning, autistic child area.
Parenting an Autistic Child
Daddy's Changing Diaper
Daddy's Diaper Dooty Poem
Husband and Wife holding a baby
Adopting a Child