Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Making a Quilt With Neckties

0 0EmailFollow
Necktie keepsake quilt.

Making a necktie quilt is a great way to reuse old ties. Using neckties from someone special will make the quilt a cherished keepsake. This is a guide about making a quilt with neckties.

Here are questions related to Making a Quilt With Neckties.

Question: Making a Quilt With Men's Ties

My boys now in their 30's went to catholic schools, 12 years each. They had a contest who could wear the ugliest tie, well I have all these ugly ties and would love to return them to them as a lap blanket or a quilt. I do not sew much, I have a machine, but I would be willing to try! Does anyone have a not too hard way of doing this?

Colleen

Most Recent Answer

By kathleen williams [23]03/11/2009

Search for your question"how to make a quilt with mens ties"there's pictures & lot of info there,good luck.

Solutions: Making a Quilt With Neckties

Do you have knowledge about this guide topic? Feel free to share a solution!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Making a Quilt With Men's Ties

I have a large number of ties that belonged to my late husband. I would like to make a quilt with them but need some help and suggestions on how to get started.

Vicikie

RE: Making a Quilt With Men's Ties

I have made skirts from ties as well as scrap quilts. A circular mandala type or fan pattern on a plain ground would give max impact. To get the most coverage from the ties pick them apart and then interface them (ties are cut on the bias and interfacing will make them manageable). I like to leave the tips intact so you can tell the're ties. Keep it simple - make it up as you go along - and have fun. (05/24/2005)

By For a lark

RE: Making a Quilt With Men's Ties

Do you have enough ties to make a vest for yourself first? This would get you use to working with that type of fabric, before you venture into a quilt. As Lark has stated the bias fabric will need interfacing. I do believe you will enjoy your experience more if you get a wee bit of experience! You could embliseh a vest you already have by sewing the ties on the vest in a becoming pattern, that could be lots of fun, too. (05/24/2005)

By trashcrafter

RE: Making a Quilt With Men's Ties

An elderly lady friend taught me to STRIP QUILT. The strips are cut straight about (I'm guessing) 12" across and 3" down. She made beautiful throw pillows. After she sewed them together she embellished the strips with decorative braids, flat laces, and hand embroidered designs and edgings on some of the strips to fancy it up. Once this was done,turn the sewn together strips so that they are slanted and then cut the material to the size you want your pillow.This method can also be used for a quilt. It actually can be done pretty fast. She has quilts also that she'd made. One Christmas I made several pillows for gifts. I hope my instructions are pretty clear as it's been several years since I did this.Quilting is such a good pastime and if you have children or relatives of your husband they will appreciate the pillow for sentimental reasons. (05/24/2005)

By Sharon,Ky

RE: Making a Quilt With Men's Ties

I saw somewhere on here recently to make ties into a purse as well. It was really cute. (05/25/2005)

By Donna

RE: Making a Quilt With Men's Ties

I've heard you can make rugs out of ties, too. This would be great for gifts for your kids of Dad's ties. (05/25/2005)

By badwater

RE: Making a Quilt With Men's Ties

I did a quilt years ago using ties. It was so easy! I used an embroidery sewing machine and used decorative stitches in bright colors to bring edges together. I butt the wide ends together to make a starburst (round) then quilted it onto a flat sheet. Then sewed the batting, matching flat sheet for backing, and applicated sheet together. Turned them right side out and sewed opening closed.SO EASY EVEN FOR A BEGINNER LIKE ME!

Another way is to alternate wide and thin ends, sew or embroider together the edges and cut into strips, and then sew intoblocks... looks great and so easy. They make great matching pillows to go with the quilt (can use up the ends from the starburst this way is well). (05/26/2005)

By mary p.

RE: Making a Quilt With Men's Ties

I have seen them done as a large sunburst in the middle of the quilt and also in individual blocks in a fan shape. Just saw a tote bag made with ties and want to try one. Good luck! (06/02/2005)

By WolfeK

RE: Making a Quilt With Men's Ties

I am in the process of making a quilt from using old ties, they are about 40 years old, I found a patern in a book called SUPER SIMPLE STRIPS by NANCY SMITH and LINDA MILLIGAN. I found this book at Jo-Anns. To me fabric is fabric, wherever it comes from its just a piece of fabric, so use your imagination and start cutting into the tie and start creating. You will be amazed at what you can come up with. (12/13/2005)

By sharilyn

RE: Making a Quilt With Men's Ties

There is a book called Daddy's Ties by Shirley Botsford with a good quilt pattern for using men's ties. (10/03/2006)

By Donna

RE: Making a Quilt With Men's Ties

I am addicted to making tie quilts and tie off with yarn or floss to complete the "Tie" theme. I make 17" blocks with small print or solid fabric cut the ends of the tie at 16" and place three to a block of fabric then I strip between the blocks with 3" coordinate fabric. I make four rows of three across and poof you are done in no time. I have made totes out of ties as well that are fun too, like all the others say, have fun! (09/23/2007)

By Cat in AZ

Archive: Making a Quilt With Men's Ties

Does anyone out there in crafty-quilty land know the directions to make a quilt out of old neckties? I had heard from someone long ago that there is a way without all the cutting, its a special way to fold it and make a cool design. Thanks for any info!

Jan from Buckeye, AZ

RE: Making a Quilt With Men's Ties

I am actually trying this right now as my second quilt. I am stitching them together in a circular pattern and then will put them on a flat sheet. If it ends up looking bad, I'll say that I shouldn't have tried this as my second quilt. But if it looks good, I'll have reason to brag. (I'm a guy, I like to brag). (10/16/2008)

By Steve