Creating a Cozy and Beautiful Backyard

My name is Erin, a recently married woman. As you see the pictures for my back yard, there is nothing. My husband moved into this house 7 years ago and he said he never went out to the back yard since he moved. Please help us to have a little cozy, beautiful back yard!

Thank you,
Erin from Redondo Beach, CA

Paint the wall and fence a warm golden color and sponge paint the brick in terra cotta. Hang a wall fountain, and a large hanging pot of ivy. Place a large ficus tree type plant in a huge pot in the corner. More flowering plants in pots along the wall. Some comfortable seating and a table. Plenty of candles for evening.

Check out some of the stuff on the HGTV web site. That should give you some ideas.

I would paint the back wall and add some potted plants and a cafe table.

Are the pavers removable? You could take out just a few pavers and then plant some small herbs or colorful flowers. I think that Mother of Thyme would look nice in a few spots, it is a low growing ground cover that can take being walked on; and, it smells nice when you walk on it.

omg thats a blank canvas! You can do a million different things! Get a fountain, definately some comfortable chairs and small tables or a chair and table set, potted plants are a must of course! Also you can get a chimera - not sure how to spell it - its a small fireplace type thing that will make it warm and cozy on cool nights, plus candles too. (smile) get some nice decorations - go wild! This is GREAT! Enjoy it!

How great to have a blank space to work with. Not sure how big the whole yard is, but you can surely do something with it,and I guess you want to do it as frugally as you can.

Geraniums are a very colorful and hardy flowering plant, so maybe some pots of geraniums,, also 'kitchen garden' herbs, parsley, mint, thyme, that you can use in cooking. A water feature adds so much pleasure to a garden space,It doesnt have to be huge, It can be just a large bowl, or pot, with water, some water loving plants, and maybe a goldfish ot two.

If you are artistic, maybe you (or husband) could paint a colorful mural on a wall.. a country scene perhaps of grass or trees or anything else you fancy.

Most of all have fun creating!

If possible, have seating situated so you can see the green coming over the wall. Have different things you like over the walls. Moon, sun...aztek...country...whatever. Have a variety of potted plants of various sizes. I agree with the other poster about the chimnea. How about some decorative lights around the top of the walls? Like a canteena.

How lucky you are to start with nothing and build on it! My choice would be table and chairs maybe an umbrella and big pots of flowers, some smaller ones hanging from the wall, maybe few lounge chairs and don't forget the grill! Have a ball!

First I would start with a coat of paint on that wall in a warm beige or muted golden tone.

Get a patio table & chairs or if you just want to louge get a couple nice lounge chairs and a small space table to set your beverages on.

As for flowers/plants you have many options. Container gardening is not as boring as you'd think. I think at least one flower with a trailing nature to it for starters so you can have a nice backdrop to your yard. Tree roses would be gorgeous as well as trumpet vine and hibiscus.

Here's a link for all sorts of container gardening ideas.

http://www.bhg.com/bhg/category.jht ... atedata/bhg/category/data/sc_775.xml

Good luck and enjoy having a free open area to work with. Take your time and it will all pull together.

Yesterday I received a book from www.paperbackswap.com that made me think of your situation. Its called Beautiful Gardens Made Easy and its by Miracle Grow. (now you don't need to use Miracle Grow.. lol.. ) It has several small projects I think can help you.

My first thought was "containers." You can plant ANYTHING in a container. So put your thinking cap on and decide what you want to grow.. (smile) Be sure to think UP. YOu want to grow vertically more than horizontally. So think tall and narrow. For me, a good container has something tall and spikey, something of medium height, and something to hang over the side.. like a vine. Also, dont rule out vegetables in containers if that is what you like. Also, shrubs can be grown in containers.

Most of all, I think your yard needs some lattice on one side. Just buy some inexpensive wooden lattice and paint it the color you want...or don't paint it. (smile) You can grow any vine on your lattice including roses and vegetables.

I almost forgot to mention raised beds. Look online for instructions to make a raised bed if you decide you'd like one. You make a wooden frame. Then, fill it with soil.

You have a beautiful yard!

What I see is a beautiful brick patio with a very nice fence. Someone suggested painting the fence, please don't; the paint will peal over time. I think it's beautiful as it is. I would just get some patio furniture and put out some nice big pots with plants and some wind chines. I wish I had a back yard that nice. Mine is full of weeds. No trees, no patio.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Patio and DeckingMarch 26, 2007
Burning brush in a backyard.
Alternatives to Backyard Burning
Backyard Campout
Planning a Backyard Campout
Creating a Simple Website for a Business, Website URL on a computer screen.
Creating a Simple Website for a Business
Lanscaping around a swimming pool.
Landscaping Around Swimming Pools
🎉
🎄