Cancer Risk With Non-Stick Cookware

I want to share something my oncologist told me. He said he hopes I will replace all my "non-stick" cookware with good stainless steel products. He was very definite about this. Since I have come through the surgery and am now cancer free, I will do all he asks. It would be a small price to pay, wouldn't it, to help your body all you can? He has even written a great cookbook for cancer patients.

So, I hope if you are going through cancer or know someone that is, you will spread the word. Start small and add to your cookware as you can. Thanks for reading!

By MS.Scarlett from Oceanside, CA

I have stainless steel pots and pans and I hate them. Everything sticks to them and I can not get them clean without a lot of work. I just don't have the time to spend half the evening cleaning pots. Is there some other kind of pots and pans to use. Spraying with a spray don't help either.

As far as the non-pans go, I have read numerous articles over the years saying that they cause cancer, and I have read numerous articles saying the opposite. I guess it depends on which expert is talking. I don't like stainless steel pans either.

Have you ever tried cast iron frying and cooking pans? Once seasoned they are the very best ever. I don't have anything stick in mine. I have been using them for years and I would never use anything else now.

I have used cookware that is non-stick, and cast iron, and stainless steel for over 30 years & love it all. You just have to know how to use it right.

Non-stick: Research seems to show it's safe as long as the surface isn't scratched and/or flaking off, and you don't cook with it on high heat all the time, you know how some people keep the stove setting on high to cook faster & end up warping the pans? Doing it with non-stick releases some really noxious, toxic chemicals that can harm you & kill your pets pretty quickly! If I'd had cancer, I probably wouldn't take the chance either though.

Cast Iron:wonderful stuff! I have some my Granny used as a young woman! Keep it seasoned properly & nothing sticks to it.

Stainless Steel: Got a set of RevereWare 20+ years ago & absolutely hated it until someone taught me how to use it. You have to heat the pan BEFORE you put the cooking spray or oil in it. If you do it while the pan is cold, the food IS going to stick! Cooking lean meat or tomato based stuff-oil/spray the pan. If you are cooking something milk based, don't keep the burner on high trying to hurry things. The stuff will scorch & stick to the pan. I'm pretty sure though, that if you buy the cheapest, thinnest stainless cookware you can find, your going to have problems with it regardless.

How interesting! What is your doctor's name and the name of the cookbook as well. I have had cancer in the mid 1980s but am always looking for new ideas.

Thank you for this reminder. Dr. Oz has said the same thing. Good luck with your health.

Non-Stick Frying Pan
Using Non-Stick Cookware
Health & Beauty AdviceAugust 24, 2010
Stainless Steel Cookware
Switching to Stainless Steel Cookware
Breast Cancer Awareness Pin
Breast Cancer Awareness Craft Ideas
Breast Cancer Detection and Prevention
Breast Cancer Prevention