Cleaning Porcelain Dolls

My daughter has a collection of porcelain dolls from all over the world (about 50 of all different sizes) and they are really dusty. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas as to how to clean them.

The clothes are also smokey (we used to smoke in the apt. before buying a new house and no longer smoke in the house. We are working on quitting permanently.) I would really like to get the smell and dust off of them before we put them up on shelves again. Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated.

By Sandy from MI

Best Answer

I believe you can use white bread, like an eraser. You tear the bread (not the crust) and squish it into a ball, then rub the surface of the dolls face. It will pick up any dust dirt/grime without any damage to the porcelain. It is an old fashioned tip, but I believe it will do the trick. Good Luck

Best Answer

I use rubbing alcohol. Use a container large enough to immerse the entire doll. Soak a few minutes and then swish or dunk a few times to remove any solids. Drain until dry. This removes nicotine stains too.

alcohol makes the color run sometimes, speaking from experience not a good idea

Best Answer

I just did a major cleaning of porcelain dolls that had nicotine stains using rubbing alcohol. Put a lot of it in a pitcher big enough to hold the entire doll. Soaked it for a few minutes then swished and let drain. Doll hair was clean but not damaged and the smell was gone.

Kathy

Best Answer

I like to dust my delicate items with an appropriately sized paint brush - it works quite nicely!

Best Answer

Wrap the dolls carefully and securely in nylon net and then use your vacuum cleaner to suck the dust through the net. The net will hold the hair and feathers in place while the holes in the net will allow the dust to be removed. A similar method can be used to remove dust/dirt from antique clothing. Lay the garment on a flat surface and cover the garment with a window screen. Then vacuum the window screen.

My daughter has a collection of porcelain dolls from all over the world (about 50 of all different sizes)and they are really dusty. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas as to how to clean them. The clothes are also smokey (we used to smoke in the apt. before buying a new house and no longer smoke in the house. We are working on quitting permanently.) and I would really like to get the smell and dust off of them before we put them up on shelves again. Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Darlene

I have a few porcelain dolls that got covered in suet, how would I go about cleaning them without harming them any further. Thankyou, Nancy

I copied this from a website: Use a flea comb to brush your doll's hair. Work from top to bottom. This removes dust and keeps it tangle-free. Freshen the hair by spritzing it with Febreeze. Take white bread and remove the crust. Roll the bread into a ball. Use this bread as an eraser on your porcelain doll. Rub the bread on the face and body of the doll. This will erase dirt and grime from the doll without damaging the porcelain.

Pour a small amount of rubbing alcohol into a dish. Dip your cotton swab in the alcohol and use it to clean out hard to reach areas, such as between your doll's toes and in the corners of the eyes. Pat dry with a cotton towel.

Freshen your doll's clothes by placing them in your dryer on the air only cycle with a dryer sheet for 10 minutes. Redress your doll and repeat all steps for your entire collection every six months.

Source: eHow

Photo of 3 vintage porcelain dolls.
Cleaning Porcelain Dolls
Home and Garden Cleaning MiscellaneousSeptember 29, 2010
Porcelain bathtub.
Removing Paint from a Porcelain Bathtub
Granville House Doll
Finding the Value of Granville House Dolls
Broken Porcelain Doll
Repairing Broken Porcelain Dolls and Figurines
A porcelain doll from the 1950s.
Finding the Current Value of Porcelain Dolls
🎉
🎄