Making Purses Out of Candy Wrappers

Does anyone have any directions or info on how to make those candy wrapper purses/coin purses?

By SandraA from San Jose, CA

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance
Answer

I have seen some origami "fabric" made out of sweet papers (candy papers), but cannot find out how to make them. I want to make a handbag or purse with these for a recycling show due here in Wrexham in June.

I cannot find any instructions for the origami, how to make into "fabric", or how to make the purse. However, it is the origami part I really really want to know how to do. Does anyone know where I can get these instructions please?

By Karen from Wrexham, Wales, UK

Answers:

Making Purses Out of Candy Wrappers

Here's a link to directions on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTjw0mMueOAandNR=1
There are others on the website too. Go to www.youtube.com and do a search. Hope this helps. (04/28/2010)

By Momof1

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I've been searching to find a way to make a candy wrapper purse, but they all involve weaving the wrappers. I want to make it different, somehow, so you can see all that's on the wrappers. Maybe including thin plastic, like the kind in the fabric section of craft stores.

I have an idea in mind, but am not sure about how to attach the wrappers to the plastic, then attaching all purse pieces together. Any suggestions would be helpful. I know this will involve effort and time (I have plenty of time and I don't mind the effort), but I really want to recycle my wrappers. Thank you in advance.

By Craftymama

Answers:

Making Purses Out of Candy Wrappers

I have never made these, sewing with fabric is my field, but I use a lot of fuzzing paper to my fabrics when wanting to make applique or just to make a piece of fabric stiff. I was thinking it would work good for your project, but the fuzzing paper has to be connected to the fabric with an iron so since your using plastic not sure that would work since it could melt it.

I even thought you could stitch your wraps to your plastic by machine, maybe that would work. Because when I make my vinyl beach totes I attach fabric to it by that method and the stitch is very binding. I use decorative stitches with different color threads which looks great by over lapping the squares. But again your wraps are what "waxed papers?" so not sure how that would hold up if stitched.

Maybe the clear tacky glue would work between the 2 pieces to attach, then sew them together? I hope you post a picture when you make it a different way. As you say they are always criss crossed and the view of the design is not seen much only giving you multi color. I have seen the Kool aid packets sewn into totes so I would think the 2 are much the same. Good luck. (04/09/2009)

By theseamstress

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I am trying to find a pattern and directions on making a purse out of candy or gum wrappers. I've looked all over the Web and haven't found anything promising.

Kim from Hurricane, WV

Answers:

Making Purses Out of Candy Wrappers

www.ecoist.com has a tons of things made form it. (03/25/2007)

By Alana

Making Purses Out of Candy Wrappers

While I was in prison, I saw all kinds of things made in this style of weaving wrappers from picture frames, to little booties, to bud vases for paper flowers, to purses, and cigarette cases.

• You start with a piece of paper 3 times the width of the "square" that shows and a little less than 6 times the length of the"square". You can use the wrappers or plain paper, even wrapping paper covered with a piece of cellophane the same size.

• You fold it in thirds lengthwise. ( the folds running the long direction)

• You then fold it in half with the folds from the previous step on the inside so the cut edge is inside the piece. (the fold runs across the length)

• Next fold the halves in on themselves so you have a piece about twice as long as it is wide.

• Once you have a whole pile of these pieces you can begin to weave them.

• This is done by interlocking them. The folded half of one fits into the inside folds of the next.

• You continue to add pieces and weave them into your shapes. Rectangles are easiest.

• After you have them all woven, you can lock them together with dental floss or other strong thread using a wide plastic needle to pull the floss though the joints in a pattern, that adds strength. The thread/floss can't be seen as it is the inside of the folds.
Guys used plastic from plastic bottles to cut into a wide long shuttle to weave the thread/floss.
A drawing would be easier to explain with. Take apart one and find out how they are made. Hope this helps. 10/15/2007)

By Mark

Making Purses Out of Candy Wrappers

(submitted via email)

http://candywrapperpurse.blogspot.com/2007/08/chip-wrapper-purse.html

Try this address. It shows step by step how to complete a folded potato bag (purse) same for any candy wrapper or gum wrapper purse you want to make.

Emily (08/15/2008)

By jess_admin

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Making Purses Out of Candy Wrappers. I am looking for instructions on how to make purses, belts etc.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I am looking for a pattern to make purses out of candy wrappers, etc.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Colorful Candy Wrappers
Candy Wrapper Crafts
Crafts Recycled CraftsDecember 9, 2010
decorative cupcake wrappers
Making Valentine Cupcake Wrappers
Butter in Foil Wrapper
Reusing Butter Wrappers
Pink Purse on White Background
Repairing Purses
A Christmas wreath made from neckties.
Crafts Using Neckties
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 20, 2016 at 11:50:19 AM on 10.0.1.206 in 485 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.