Simple Recipe for Clam Chowder

I need a great simple recipe for Clam Chowder.

Martha C. from Baker City, OR

I don't use a recipe, so can't give you measurements. I saute a chopped onion in a couple tablespoons of butter, then add flour and enough milk to make a thin white sauce. Bring that to a good bubble for a few minutes. Add canned chopped clams along with the juice, and a couple diced boiled potatoes. Then add enough half and half to make a nice soupy consistency with salt and pepper to taste, and heat through. I like to top mine with some bacon bits, but that might be a southern twist on a Yankee recipe!

If it's too thin, you can thicken it with more flour shaken up with a couple tablespoons of water. Too thick, just thin with milk or more half and half. If it's not flavorful enough,you can add butter or cream. And of course,you can adjust the amount of clams and potatoes to suit your own taste.

Martha, always happy to help out a fellow Oregon resident!

I got this Clam Chowder recipe out of Taste of Home a long time ago and have used it often, it is very good.

Thick N Quick Clam Chowder

1 can(10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted

1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cheddar cheese soup, undiluted

1 can (10 3/4 condensed creamy onion soup,undiluted

3 cups half-and-half cream

2 cans (6 1/2 ounces each) chopped clams, drained.

In a sauce pan, combine the soups and cream; cook over medium heat until heated through. Add clams and heat through( do not boil.

If you can not find cream of onion soup you can use cream of potato soup and I also microwave a potato and cut it in small cubes and add that to the soup.

Phyllis Powell, Roseburg, Oregon

My hubby is a lobsterman (after retiring as an electrician). Here is a "Yankee" clam chowder:

1. fry up a piece of salt pork that has been cut into small cubes (or use 3 pieces of bacon).

2. add 2-3 good size sliced onions

3. when onions are clear, add 5 (more or less) good sized chunked potatoes, cover just barely with water & cook until potatoes are done (not too soft).

4. add clams (canned; or, fresh - cooked & shucked)

5. can subsitute a can or two of cream style corn, and/or fish, and/or lobster meat.

6. I use a can of evaporated skim milk to this & warm, but properly you would add cream & warm.

7. Some people add a pat of butter to each bowl. I like it without the butter.

This is a very economical recipe & delicious. My favorite chowder has just the corn in it & not the clams or fish or lobster.

I use a dehydrated mix for potato soup that I get at Costco, made up to serve 4, and then add a can of clams. You can also add corn, or shrimp instead if you like, or all three if you were so inclined. Nothing could be easier.

Hint: when your chowder is all done and cooled some, we add a container of clam dip to it. Yes, like you would eat with potato chips, very good. If your chowder is too thin, we add some instant potatoes, so we get just the right thickness.

4 potatoes, peeled and diced

1 medium onion, chopped

3 large celery stalks, chopped

1 level tbls of jarred minced garlic (or three minced garlic cloves)

2 tbls butter

1/4 tsp pepper

1/4 lb diced bacon

2 (6 1/2 oz) cans chopped clams, drained

1 quart half-and-half cream

1 cup bottled clam juice

1 small loaf of Italian or French bread for each individual serving

Sauté celery, onions, garlic and butter in a skillet.

Add all ingredients, including sautéed mixture, into the Crock-pot. Stir well and cook on low for 8 hours.

Serve in individual bread bowls made from the small round loaves of Italian or French bread. Simply cut the top of the loaves off, remove the inside of the loaves leaving about 1 & 1/2 inch of crust. Use the removed top and the inside bread for chowder dunking ;-)

The following is the clam chowder I fact, we had it last night. It's soooo easy but tastes like you've gone to more trouble. I also add some extra potato.

Quick Clam Chowder

Prep Time: 10 Minutes

Cook Time: 20 Minutes Ready In: 30 Minutes

Servings: 6

"So easy but so delicious."

1 (10.75 ounce) can New England clam

1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of

potato soup

1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of

celery soup 1 (6.5 ounce) can minced clams

1/2 cup chopped onion

1/2 cup chopped celery

1 tablespoon margarine

4 cups half-and-half cream

1. In large pan cook onion and celery in butter or margarine. Add clam chowder, cream of potato soup, cream of celery soup, clams, and half-and-half, and heat through. NOTE: Half-and-half is best but milk will do.

Note: I put half whole milk and the other half I use half and half

Clam Chowder Recipes, A spoonful of creamy New England Clam Chowder.
Clam Chowder Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Soups ChowderJuly 28, 2008
Seafood Chowder
Seafood Chowder Recipes
Vegetable Chowder
Vegetable Chowder Recipes
skillet of linguine and clams
Pasta with Clam Sauce Recipes
Crab Chowder
Crab Chowder Recipes