Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Cooking Roast in a Crock Pot

If you have a roast with a layer of fat on one side should you put the fatty side down or on top if you are cooking it in the crock pot?

Bethany from SC

By

By ScottyDoesn'tKnow (Guest Post)11/17/2008

I agree with posters that advocate fat side down. The crock pot generates enough moisture and you can always add just a little bit of water. Bacon is a nice touch too.

By Barbara J Snyder (Guest Post)09/19/2008

I do agree about cutting some of the fat off if it is too thick however put the fat side up you get more flavor that is how I do my turkey after I stuff it and wrap it in cheese cloth and pour chicken broth over it. I turn it upside down to get over flavor and just before down I turn it back on top to brown the top part delicious and falls apart and mmm mmm good.

By Kathy Klahn [3]09/19/2008

This is a tuff call but i say trim off as much as possible, you dont need it and it will be a healthier meal. if you have veggies on the bottom cook fat side up, if cooking roast alone and you want a little browning fat side down. the long slow cooking is what will make it tender so it is just a matter of taste. good luck!

By Louise B. [4]09/19/2008

I am with kimhis -- cut off the fat. A slow cooker doesn't need any extra moisture and the whole slow cooking process makes the meat tender. If you must keep it on, I would put it down as it might get a bit crisp that way. A crock pot is not like a roaster in the oven.

By AT (Guest Post)09/18/2008

As an avid crockpot user, I always cook my meats (pork, beef, etc.) with the fat on top. However, if the fatty layer is extremely thick (use your best judgement) trim a layer of the fat off while still leaving bit on to keep the meat nice and moist.

By Celeste [4]09/18/2008

I always do fat side down, it cooks faster than the rest of the meat that way and sometimes actually browns a little, especially if it is directly on the bottom. Better flavor that way.

By Kim Churchman [3]09/18/2008

I say, buck that fat offa there! Proper cooking temps and moisture are what tenderize meat, and fat only makes tough meat fattier.

By yazakisan (Guest Post)09/18/2008

I have to disagree - the fat side goes down. This allows you to season the meat; not the fat which will be discarded any way. If you leave the lid on the roast stays moist and we really don't need the FAT melting into the meat for added calories. It also prevents the MEAT from sticking to the pot; who cares if the fat sticks a little.

By Jennette (Guest Post)09/18/2008

Fatty side on top so that it keeps the meat moist while cooking.

By Jennette (Guest Post)09/18/2008

I cooked a pork shoulder in a roaster and put the fatty side on top. That way it kept the meat moist all day as it melted away.