Share Crafts
Ask
Share
Newsletter
Account
About

Cooking Roast in a Crock Pot

0EmailPrintFollowSave

If you have a roast with a layer of fat on one side should you put the fatty side down or on top if you are cooking it in the crock pot?

Bethany from SC

By

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By Jennette (Guest Post) 09/18/2008 Flag

I cooked a pork shoulder in a roaster and put the fatty side on top. That way it kept the meat moist all day as it melted away.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Fatty side on top so that it keeps the meat moist while cooking.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By yazakisan (Guest Post) 09/18/2008 Flag

I have to disagree - the fat side goes down. This allows you to season the meat; not the fat which will be discarded any way. If you leave the lid on the roast stays moist and we really don't need the FAT melting into the meat for added calories. It also prevents the MEAT from sticking to the pot; who cares if the fat sticks a little.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Kim Churchman 3 1,277 09/18/2008 Flag

I say, buck that fat offa there! Proper cooking temps and moisture are what tenderize meat, and fat only makes tough meat fattier.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Celeste 4 18 09/18/2008 Flag

I always do fat side down, it cooks faster than the rest of the meat that way and sometimes actually browns a little, especially if it is directly on the bottom. Better flavor that way.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By AT (Guest Post) 09/18/2008 Flag

As an avid crockpot user, I always cook my meats (pork, beef, etc.) with the fat on top. However, if the fatty layer is extremely thick (use your best judgement) trim a layer of the fat off while still leaving bit on to keep the meat nice and moist.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Louise B. 6 2,509 09/19/2008 Flag

I am with kimhis -- cut off the fat. A slow cooker doesn't need any extra moisture and the whole slow cooking process makes the meat tender. If you must keep it on, I would put it down as it might get a bit crisp that way. A crock pot is not like a roaster in the oven.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Kathy Klahn 3 64 09/19/2008 Flag

This is a tuff call but i say trim off as much as possible, you dont need it and it will be a healthier meal. if you have veggies on the bottom cook fat side up, if cooking roast alone and you want a little browning fat side down. the long slow cooking is what will make it tender so it is just a matter of taste. good luck!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Barbara J Snyder (Guest Post) 09/19/2008 Flag

I do agree about cutting some of the fat off if it is too thick however put the fat side up you get more flavor that is how I do my turkey after I stuff it and wrap it in cheese cloth and pour chicken broth over it. I turn it upside down to get over flavor and just before down I turn it back on top to brown the top part delicious and falls apart and mmm mmm good.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By ScottyDoesn'tKnow (Guest Post) 11/17/2008 Flag

I agree with posters that advocate fat side down. The crock pot generates enough moisture and you can always add just a little bit of water. Bacon is a nice touch too.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes